Good Bookshelf Speaker and Amp Under $150?

Jhact

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013
I would prefer the total cost to be under $150. They don't have to be fantastic (just the best for the price) as I'm using some Altec Lansing speakers that come with the old pre-built Dell's atm.

P.S. Would the Logitech Z623's be any better than this? Thanks!

Solution
For that budget I'd probably have to say the Pioneer SP-BS22 speakers (make sure it's 22 and not the 21's), and something like the Topping TP20 amp (though if you can swing it, get the TP22 instead)

Standard price it's a bit more than your budget however, the Pioneers seem to go on sale somewhat frequently for under $100/pr (every once in a great while as low as $65/pr) which puts this suggestion into your budget, just need to be a bit patient with them. I've also seen the Toppings on sale, but it's rare for them to do so from what I've noticed.

As far as being better than the Z623's, that's more subjective and depends on what you want. It'll have better sound quality, but probably won't play as loud (though a stronger amp will take...

ien2222

Distinguished
For that budget I'd probably have to say the Pioneer SP-BS22 speakers (make sure it's 22 and not the 21's), and something like the Topping TP20 amp (though if you can swing it, get the TP22 instead)

Standard price it's a bit more than your budget however, the Pioneers seem to go on sale somewhat frequently for under $100/pr (every once in a great while as low as $65/pr) which puts this suggestion into your budget, just need to be a bit patient with them. I've also seen the Toppings on sale, but it's rare for them to do so from what I've noticed.

As far as being better than the Z623's, that's more subjective and depends on what you want. It'll have better sound quality, but probably won't play as loud (though a stronger amp will take the Pioneers far past what the Logitechs can do). It's hard to tell whether or not the Pioneers will play as low, I only find speculation and completely false numbers for the z623's. My guess is that they will be somewhat close, with the Z623's reaching maybe 5-10hz lower...if even that much.

Solution

Jhact

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013
Alright, thanks! Also, add-on question, will the Pioneers do alright without the amp? I'm thinking of buying them and buying the amp a little later.