Google Chrome keeps freezing, when playing YouTube videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfgamingk

Honorable
Oct 26, 2014
Hello, i'm not even sure if i picked the right topic. But that doesn't matter. Google chrome keeps freezing, whenever i play YouTube videos. It started when i got my new computer. (Last November.)
Whenever i go to play a YouTube, the video it freezes up. Then after about 15 seconds, or more it says google chrome is not responding. The freeze can last anywhere from 15, to 60 seconds. Usually its like 15 seconds, then it unfreezes for about 2 seconds, then freezes back up, for another 15 seconds or more. Sometimes I'll have to wait for a whole minute or more. Its getting really annoying, I've tried disabling all my extensions, I've tried uninstalling and re installing and uninstalling and re installing adobe flash. nothings worked. BTW i run on windows 8.1 64bit pro.
If anyone has a solution, it would be greatly appreciated!

yorel140

Estimable
Apr 21, 2015
Open the windows explorer and go to "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrom­e\User Data", there is a file called "Local State" FIST MAKE A COPY OF THIS FILE, change the extension of this file to "Local State.txt". When you are inside of this file on the top zone of it there will be a line like this:

- "plugin_message_response_timeout" : 25000"

Delete this line and try it again

Hope i helped you good luck :D

wolfgamingk

Honorable
Oct 26, 2014

oops, didn't mean to press that as best answer. Eh doesn't matter. Anyway, my specs are 32gb ram, 2 gtx 780tis, an I 75930k 6 core processor. Also I really like chrome. like, I REALLY like chrome. i turned hardware acceleration off. and its a bit slower, but it seemed to have worked.

wolfgamingk

Honorable
Oct 26, 2014

The only problem with that, is i have 2 hard drives. 1 3 TB HDD and 1 400 GB SSD. So whenever i try to enter that nothing comes up, when i search it.

yorel140

Estimable
Apr 21, 2015
Do you change "USERPROFILE" with your user name? I know its a bit ridiculous question but sometimes happens... The folder have to be somewhere because if you have Chrome installed then you have it for sure...

wolfgamingk

Honorable
Oct 26, 2014

DAMMIT i clicked it again. its 4am and i can't do anything right now. yeah I've tried internet explorer which seems to work. firefox didn't work though.

wolfgamingk

Honorable
Oct 26, 2014

How can you tell, if you did? all i got was, defaultpc and ThisPC.

wolfgamingk

Honorable
Oct 26, 2014

I did that. It didn't work. It seems turning hardware acceleration off helps.

bailifei

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
Well, the simplest way has always been uninstalling Chrome and reinstalling a new chrome.exe.
It it still doesn't work out, just try other browsers, such as Firefox and IE.

wolfgamingk

Honorable
Oct 26, 2014

Done that. Turning hardware acceleration off helps.

aldelfeldel

Estimable
Jun 22, 2015
Not sure if I had exactly the same problem. It was completely freezing Chrome for me; I had to get Windows to kill the process. (It was, oddly enough, only YouTube that would freeze it; other HTML video sites were fine.)

Upgrading my Intel HD Graphics video driver to the latest version seemed to solve it. Or alternatively, since my system has both Intel and Nvidia video chips, forcing Chrome to run on the Nvidia chip also seemed to solve it.

overlord hrvo

Estimable
Jul 11, 2015

I just bought a new laptop with intel hd graphics 5500 and nvidia geforce gtx 850m and have the problem where randomly after 2, 5, 10, 15 sometimes more than half an hour of watching youtube whole google chrome would freeze and i would have to kill it in taskmanager or just with the close button but wait for 10 seconds before i can open it again.... So since after like 3hours of searching for answers i saw for the first time someone saying that he had intel and nvidia and that his solution had something to do with that fact!! COULD you please in more detail explain how did your youtube and chrome crash all go about and also cause i'm not tech savvy (at all!) explain how can i switch or rather as you say force chrome to run on nvidia if it isn't already? cause i don't know AND also where can i check and update my drivers....please respond!!

Curls

Estimable
May 24, 2015
Me too! Oh my god. It's been a trail of problems. First YouTube player would load but won't auto play, then Shockwave plug-in constantly started to crash, then Google mail started to become unresponsive (I have to use the old version) and now going on YouTube will cause Google Chrome to freeze the tab.

sumooooo

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
This is a very common issue among Intel graphics 6000 users. The last 3 or so driver releases have not been playing well with Chrome. The last driver to work was 4080 driver released in January. Intel releases 4243 driver few days ago. I am not going to upgrade unless I know for sure that the issue has been fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.