Google Docs not registering certain keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaoticShadow

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016
Just like the title says Google Docs stopped registering certain keys a few days ago. It started with the control key, which prevented me from copy pasting since Docs told me "this feature is not available in the edit menu, please use your keyboard" and my control key wouldn't register.

Then I started noticing that some letters were left out when I typed. Now, I don't think I typed too fast, and my accuracy isn't that bad. So, I tried to use backspace... nothing.

Anybody know what's going on?

(On chrome with a lenovo laptop)

Solution
Are you able to plug an external keyboard into your Lenovo laptop?

Would like to exclude some physical keyboard problem but if other applications (non-Google) do not have typing related problems then the Lenovo keyboard is most likely okay.

Could be that the Lenovo or Google docs is reacting to the key presses or key press combinations with respect to some other language. Would appear not to be working but would still go and do something else which would, I hope, be noticeable.

At this point I would suspect some file corruption problem with respect to Google's recognizing/reading key presses. Or character mappings perhaps.

Is it viable for you to back everything up and reinstall?
Is Google Docs the only affected application?

Just one document, a few documents, or all documents?

Can you open and use a copy of some older, backed up doc without problems?

Are you aware of any recent update, new add-on's, or application updates?

Do you do any gaming or use applications that program your keyboard for special functions?

Key is to narrow down the circumstances to the point where you can "create" the problem at will. E.g., the presence of one particular app or document perhaps.

ChaoticShadow

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016

All Google-related office services are affected (Docs, Draw, etc) and all documents/copies/files are affected. I do game, but I don't mess with key-bindings.

Are you able to plug an external keyboard into your Lenovo laptop?

Would like to exclude some physical keyboard problem but if other applications (non-Google) do not have typing related problems then the Lenovo keyboard is most likely okay.

Could be that the Lenovo or Google docs is reacting to the key presses or key press combinations with respect to some other language. Would appear not to be working but would still go and do something else which would, I hope, be noticeable.

At this point I would suspect some file corruption problem with respect to Google's recognizing/reading key presses. Or character mappings perhaps.

Is it viable for you to back everything up and reinstall?

Solution

ChaoticShadow

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016

Re-installed and it's working! Hehe, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.