Google Redirects To Yahoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

thejunker

Prominent
Sep 11, 2017
Every time I search in google it automatically redirects to Yahoo search. I have tried countless things. Setting Google as default search engine, resetting google chrome, re-downloading google chrome, restricting Yahoo in internet options, using chrome cleaner, removing all ab-normal programs, using malwarebytes, countless other anti-virus programs. I even set google as default on Microsoft Edge. ALL of these provided temporary solutions which lasted about 1-2 searches before going back to yahoo redirect. Please Help!

Solution
In" extensions" - accessed as described above - I found something called "Tabs to Windows". I may have installed this at some point but it would have been months ago as I do not now recall when or why. I deleted it & got rid of the Yahoo problem.
I didn't download any programs / apps / extenstions today & in fact I rarely do. But somehow today my pc became "infected". My feeling is that "Tabs to windows" is either a fake app, or if it's normally assumed to be reliable, something (virus) latched onto / into it & caused the Yahoo issue.

mdd1963

Distinguished
try a www.freefixer.com scan

Search every single non-green (whitelisted in 'freefixer' terms) entry very carefully...(or, take screenshots of all non-green entries and post links to them for us to look over; I'd be surprised if nothing showed up)

I'd also check all tasks in task scheduler very caerfully as well, deleting anything/everything you are not sure about...

derekullo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
Do you have any other computer that also does it or is this the only one?

If multiple computers do it then it could be an issue with the router.

But the following is for if it's just 1 computer.

Try booting into safe mode to see if it also does it in safe mode.

If it also does it in safe mode then we can be almost sure that something modified your HOSTS file.

Its possible your virus scanner / Malware-bytes removed the virus/malware but didn't fix the hosts file.

Navigate to:
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc

And delete the file named HOSTS.

The hosts file tells the computer to go to a different ip address for a site if it finds it in its list.

Once the file is deleted you should reboot the computer and windows will automatically recreate a blank one.

derekullo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
There should also be an option for starting chrome without extensions / addons.

You should remove any chrome extensions that look strange.

chrome://extensions/

Copy the above into the address bar "in Chrome" to see your chrome extensions.

My only google chrome extensions are Google Docs, Google Docs Offline, Google Sheets and Google Slides.

Any extensions but those 4 should be cause for concern.

thejunker

Prominent
Sep 11, 2017

Deleting the HOSTS file did not work, (With a Restart). I'm at the point where I assume its an extension as when I go into incognito with searches with google every time. I have the 4 extensions you have plus uBlock Origin, Overwatch Wallpapers HD New Tab Themes, HTTPS Everywhere and History Open. History Open is the most strange to me, I never installed it, I cant disable it or uninstall it. And it shows up no where else. Where you would press delete it says "Installed by enterprise policy."

Feb 19, 2018
I know how annoying this is. I tried for hours and nothing worked. However I did find 1 solution that worked for me.

open command prompt with admin rights and type the following:

Type:
rd /S /Q "%WinDir%\System32\GroupPolicyUsers"
Press Enter.

Type:
rd /S /Q "%WinDir%\System32\GroupPolicy"
Press Enter.

Type:
gpupdate /force
Press Enter.

Enjoy using chrome and google again. Hope this works for you as it did for me.

I found the solution here: https://malwaretips.com/blogs/installed-enterprise-policy-removal/#removal

Mar 13, 2018

Just tried this & it didn't work for me. Still getting Yahoo when I search in Google chrome...

Feb 19, 2018

Sorry to hear man, This was the only free solution that helped me. Hope you can find a working solution that works for you.

Mar 13, 2018
In" extensions" - accessed as described above - I found something called "Tabs to Windows". I may have installed this at some point but it would have been months ago as I do not now recall when or why. I deleted it & got rid of the Yahoo problem.
I didn't download any programs / apps / extenstions today & in fact I rarely do. But somehow today my pc became "infected". My feeling is that "Tabs to windows" is either a fake app, or if it's normally assumed to be reliable, something (virus) latched onto / into it & caused the Yahoo issue.

Solution
Mar 13, 2018

Thanks bud. I seem to have solved it (for now!) taken several hours today to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.