Google: We Saved You From a Draconian Future

Status
Not open for further replies.

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
I think Google pulled the Nexus One out because both Verizon and Sprint came out with their own versions of it, which are basically a Nexus One with a different case and a better camera. stupid to think a company would not allow Google to sell their phone, that would only cause the carriers to make less profit.

nao1120

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Finally..... A company that makes sense, even though they dominate other usages ie: search engines, phones( second to RIM ), and working on a OS.

They are doing well, and i saw down with apple's expensive crap. Or i should say, good (overpriced) crap.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]Fuck you google and your stupid ass java virtual machine of which you have no idea how to fix to make it stable, remember the answers you give to developers when they ask advices about what not to do prevent the stupid VM from crashing? You have no clue how to at least prevent crashes, let alone fix them, and you want to protect us from apple?. Face it, you are enable to come up with a decent operating system, Android is crap, chrome os is just plain stupid. Fuck you and your big brother future where everybody will be using your cloud.[/citation]

Dalvik is fine. If you have having trouble, chances are that poor java code is the problem.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
I for one would like to thank Google for saving us from an Apple dominated market. I cringe at the thought of what an Apple dominated market would be like after seeing what they have been trying to do without dominating the market.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]Fuck you google and your stupid ass java virtual machine of which you have no idea how to fix to make it stable, remember the answers you give to developers when they ask advices about what not to do prevent the stupid VM from crashing? You have no clue how to at least prevent crashes, let alone fix them, and you want to protect us from apple?. Face it, you are enable to come up with a decent operating system, Android is crap, chrome os is just plain stupid. Fuck you and your big brother future where everybody will be using your cloud.[/citation]

Grow up. Android is a wonderful OS. I've seen no issues with it beyond poor programming from developers. That is a result of an open platform, and to be honest, I have no complaints about that.

I personally think Android is better than the iPhone OS.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]Fine if all you are doing is Hello world "apps"[/citation]
Stop blaming Dalvik for your poor coding abilities.

G

Smochina

bitter a little are we? you can still get android phone even though Google search has pulled out of China you know ;p

backin5

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I generally like Google, but:

1) They complied with China's draconian laws til recently. I'm not sure they would have stopped their censorship and pulled out of China if it weren't for the mail accounts breach.

2) The brand new wifi data fiasco. Sure people who don't secure their wifi are at their own fault if they get probed, but this doesn't make what Google did right.

3) Eric Schmidt saying "If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place, but if you really need that kind of privacy, the reality is that search engines — including Google — do retain this information for some time…" did spark some debate regarding privacy concerns.

Just something to think about before rushing to praise them...

G

"I generally like Google, but:"

While your concerns are well voiced there's another side of the coin as well, as I'll try to illustrate.

1) Correct. They did leave however, which is more than we could have said for any other company before them.

2) Correct. They did fess up to it and apologize however, as well as ask for an outside review regarding the handling and deletion of said data. I can't think of another company that would have handled the situation quite so gracefully.

3) Again, correct. The man put his foot in his mouth to be certain and his assumption is absolutely asinine as far as privacy concerns goes. The fact that information posted on the web, be it in user profiles, social networking groups or online searches is retained for quite some time shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. The thing that separates Google from the pack isn't the fact that they're collecting, and retaining, user-posted information however - it's the fact that they openly admit it. Everyone else does as well, they're just not as forthcoming about it.

I'm certainly not trying to portray Google as the savior of mankind though, I'm merely saying that while you're correct that these situations could have been handled better in the grand scheme of things I've yet to see another company do any better under similar situations.

As far as the article is concerned I'd like to point out the same fallacy I did last time.

"It's speculated that carriers pulled out of their agreements to offer the Nexus One because of a common fear that Google is gaining too much power."

That's ludicrous, there's absolutely no incentive for big business to worry about the long-term impact of power players when there's money to be made right here and now.

At the very least such concerns would be an absolute first and if there had been any truth to carriers having a shred of a conscience or soul we wouldn't be bitching about exclusive deals, jailbreaking and exorbitant pricing of voice and data plans.

If carriers are genuinely less than enthusiastic about Android it's probably because the platform is too open, as in not allowing them to safely and easily lock out features they'd like to charge a premium for.

Status
Not open for further replies.