Got an ASUS G752, should i return it and get an MSI ?

pondweed

Estimable
Apr 18, 2014
Hi people

so i got me an ASUS G752-VT laptop. i am mostly very happy with it.
plays battlefield 1 on ultra graphics, with the CPU/GPU temps leveling out at 65-70 degrees C

i had read a lot of stories of people buying them and getting faulty hardware out the box.
but heard that if one receives a 'good egg' then its a beast of a Laptop that will last many years

so i was rather un-surprised to find a fault with the touch-pad. there is a dead-zone running down the middle, about 5mm wide, from top to bottom.

practically, not an issues, i always use a mouse, and 90% of the touch-pad still works for that rare occasion when needed.

my concern is that if this touch-pad hardware quality is a reflection of the rest of the hardware in the machine, then i worried that other parts of the laptop might start falling apart in a year or two.

so, i could return it to get a 'potentially' more reliable MSI GT72.

from what I gather, pretty much every laptop brand has occasional quality control issues. and that i might end up with MSI hardware issues aswell.

i dont mind software issues, i find them quite fun to solve :D

maybe i just being paranoid.
but before i made the decision to keep the G752 (got 3 weeks before end of refund period) i thought id ask you guys/gals opinion.

keep the ASUS? or refund for MSI?

Solution
i would try what celica said.

and i would definitely keep the asus. assuming you have some warranty on the asus, i wouldnt worry about the touchpad if youre mainly a mouse person. i couldnt honestly tell you if the touchpads on my last two laptops even worked becuase i never used them.

if the rest of your laptop is working fine, then youre set!

also, if you have an asus with only a fault touchpad and you return it, you risk getting an msi with a potentially fault *insert something important here*

CelicaGT

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
I just got one as well and had some issues with the trackpad that were solved with drivers. I never noticed a dead band as you say but I had no two finger scroll etc etc. Turns out there were two drivers installed AFTER I performed the Anniversary Update on Win10. A short term solution was to shut off fast boot, this is my usual attempt-to-fix for weird problems (fast boot causes some strange sh!t). Behold it worked. Then I grabbed the drivers etc from Asus' site and nuked the install from orbit. Smooth sailing ever since, no gaming centre and no other crap. Additional info: Don't use the Asus display driver...get it from Nvidia, in addition you can extend the keyboard backlight timer through a registry edit.

hdmark

Estimable
Feb 16, 2015
i would try what celica said.

and i would definitely keep the asus. assuming you have some warranty on the asus, i wouldnt worry about the touchpad if youre mainly a mouse person. i couldnt honestly tell you if the touchpads on my last two laptops even worked becuase i never used them.

if the rest of your laptop is working fine, then youre set!

also, if you have an asus with only a fault touchpad and you return it, you risk getting an msi with a potentially fault *insert something important here*

Solution

CelicaGT

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013

If you decide to get the MSI the disconnecting WiFi issues is fixed under Power Settings...

pondweed

Estimable
Apr 18, 2014
nice to hear. thanks for input. i will keep the ASUS :)

now i can get a backpack that it will actually fit into.

oh and CeliccaGT, interesting about the display driver.
the amount of bloatware and 'optimization' software is mindblowing.

almost every game i installed has had visual/audio/restarting issues, which have all been solved by disabling sonic studio/gamefirst/ROG gaming center.
but like i said i find software issues quite a fun challenge to troubleshoot, i usually learn something in the process

this 'ROG' laptop really didnt feel like it was properly set up for gaming lol :)

CelicaGT

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013

Absolutely agree with you, I was rather disappointed initially. Some tips from me to you:

-If you didn't get the one with an SSD get one, it does not support M.2 SATA but the intel 600p is a good, inexpensive NVMe drive (I got the RB71 with the 1TB HDD, 16 GB RAM and a GTX1070, no SSD)
-Reinstall....Asus' site actually isn't bad even if it is slow, drivers were easy to find.
-If you reinstall and have an NVMe drive, you will need to choose the "Load Driver" option or it will not see the SSD (available from Intels site)
-Leave "Gaming Center" to burn in hell where it belongs
-The audio driver while not "Sonic Studio" has a decent EQ, you can tune the sound up nicely.
-Asus Nvidia driver caused DX11 crashes, use the Nvidia one
-Disable fastboot, this seemed to solve a few niggles with software
-Windows includes an "Asus Precision Trackpad" driver...this is good...don't use the Asus one, thats where my issues were it seems
-Dabble around the ROG site, there I found a registry edit to increase the amount of time the keyboard backlight stays on, 1 minute is not enough nad the edit is easy (I can't recall the key's location offhand sorry).

This all took me like...2 hours at best, I waited till my SSD arrived from Newegg before I nuked it so it was a full, fresh start. It's been a week or so and I already have many, many hours solid of Raiding and racing, no further issues :)

pondweed

Estimable
Apr 18, 2014
That's a nice De-crapify tutorial.

A fresh Windows install sounds Peachy, but Laptop didn't come with a reinstall disc. my only experience of reinstalling an operating systems is to boot from CD, wipe main partition, reinstall over that.
do i need to buy a windows 10 disc for reinstall?

yea i got the cheapest G752 model i could find, with a 970M. only on that was in budget.
im well up for putting an SSD in there eventually, im sure it would be helpful with video editing. but i gotta check if it will void Warranty.

CelicaGT

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013

Download the "Media Creation Tool" from MS site...it will guide you through the rest. You will need a 4gig or greater USB stick. As for the SSD afaik ASUS does not void the warranty for user upgrades, but I would contact them to be sure. I was willing to take the risk.