GPU Cooling Mod Cures Xbox 360 RRoD Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

FKSSR

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
[citation][nom]danimal_the_animal[/nomThe new xboxes that are arcade units emit COLD AIR!

problem solved[/citation]

Is this still an issue in the Elite models, though?

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]FKSSR[/nom][citation][nom]danimal_the_animal[/nomThe new xboxes that are arcade units emit COLD AIR!problem solved[/citation]Is this still an issue in the Elite models, though?[/citation]

Since the problem is apparently tied to models with a hard drive, it may very well be.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]restatement3dofted[/nom]A new PC and Steam was my permanent fix for the RRoD.[/citation]

true.. I haven't touched my xbox360 since I got back on steam mearely with a core2duo.

and now that I've tried (a non-steam game) starcraft 2 and found that it automatically defaults all options to Ultra, why would I even need to bother with 360 any more? PC is just as or more fun than a 360. and no monthly fee on top of paying monthly for internet access already.

FKSSR

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Isn't the Arcade console the one without the hard drive?

My questions was whether the new Elite versions (with a hard drive) still have the issue.

badaxe2 addressed my question.

G

Water cooling kits are meant to be for high end PCs with overclocked specs, not the pathetic little xbox wannabe-gamer CPU and GPU...

jenesuispasbavard

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]anonymous7693[/nom]Water cooling kits are meant to be for high end PCs with overclocked specs, not the pathetic little xbox wannabe-gamer CPU and GPU...[/citation]
Back in 2005, it was a full generation ahead of PC hardware... (unified shaders on the GPU, 10 MB eDRAM die).

So enough with the console-bashing already. I have a pretty capable laptop, but I still play on my Xbox 360 more.

Also, considering that for $200 you can play a game that looks as fantastic on the Xbox 360 as Final Fantasy XIII or Mass Effect 2, it's quite a steal.

Fluffycakes

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
Awesome mod but you shouldn't have to do this to a console. I went PC long ago and happy I am there. Better graphics and I don't have to deal with RRoD or trying to figure out how to keep my XBox from breaking. PC always wins.

ender21

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]No, but being an idiot will surely do. Well, at least it should.[/citation]

Including people who don't get a joke?

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Arglebargle[/nom]Won't this mod get you banned from Xbox Live?/s[/citation]

Any system intrusion and tampering can possibly get you banned from xbox live. It has been debated that the system can tell if it has been opened up but generally just if you power it on while the DVDROM is unplugged. So in that case, it should be fine as long as you plug everything back in after it had been opened up.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]...and now that I've tried (a non-steam game) starcraft 2 and found that it automatically defaults all options to Ultra, why would I even need to bother with 360 any more? [/citation]

Man, I wish a SC2 beta invite would make its way to my inbox. Still itching to put that game through its paces.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Agree with fluffycakes..shouldn't have to do this to a console; it's not in my opinion, a solution..just a bodge-job. I think MS should simply release a better case at no extra cost to existing users. It's not like they can't afford to do it. I still like this console, just don't relish the idea of bashing the case to bits to fix a problem MS should have fixed for good ages ago (in my opinion).

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I got a new 250Gb XBOX360 for Christmas this year and even with me having it crammed in around a the rest of my consoles it still blows cool air after several hours of non-stop gaming.

I've even taken it on about 10 plane rides now with it banging around as my carrying on and it still runs perfect and is blowing cool air.

Status
Not open for further replies.