Grainy/Blurry Text on Samsung 32"

bmbuilder14

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014
I am having an issue with my Samsung 32" 1080p UN32EH5000 series TV where the text on screen is grainy and blurry. The picture itself is actually really good but the text is kinda off..

IMAG0041_zpsbec76eaf.jpg
[/URL][/img]

IMAG0043_zpsc90b3e05.jpg
[/URL][/img]

IMAG0042_zpsfe251e9e.jpg
[/URL][/img]

I am not hooked up to any PC this is just a my Xbox 360 hooked up to my TV, and the TV's menu screen also has this issue so its not the Xbox or an HDMI cable issue.

Any help would be awesome, Thanks :D

Solution
sony, samsung and lg are the top three i'd pick from for tvs. if you like the lg better then go for it as you must be happy with it.

i know some of the earlier lines (before the 6000 series) had some panel issues in the samesung line. not sure if this is one of them or not. the 6000fxza however is perfectly fine (to my eyes at least). it could be the panel and not settings.... though i still say its likely a setting.

looks like aliased text (or more specifically text which doesnt have an anti-aliasing filter added to it). a square grid of pixels cannot make a smooth curve so it often will look strange (jagged) unless anti-aliasing (essentially blurring the edge) is added to make your eyes perceive what looks like a smoother line...

bmbuilder14

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014

Yes ive messed around with settings for the last 4 days of owning this tv and its only made it worse. It just seems like there's missing pixels in the lettering.. now that im looking closely..surely this cant be normal. My LG 32 that i had never looked like this.. but like i said the picture itself looks fine colors and everything like that its just the text thats bothering me.

it looks like the text is aliased or anti-aliased to me... though that could also be a sharpness issue.... hard to call it.

adjusting sharpness up can eliminate anti-aliasing i know.

anti-aliasing.jpg

when text is aliased it looks jagged and when anti-aliased it looks smoother. too much anti-aliasing though or fonts too small which are anti-aliased can make fonts look blurry.

generally small fonts are best left aliased and larger fonts are better aa.

there are likely some settings in the tv menu or in the xbox menu you can adjust for aliasing on text specifically and i would look for them.

--

if you increase sharpness what specifically happens? does it get more jaggy? how about if you lower sharpness?

are there any text specific options (on xbox and tv menus) that you can adjust?

bmbuilder14

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014

No unfortunately there is not, when i turn up the sharpness it looks really grainy as far as the overal picture and to crisp and if i turn it all the way down its still really grainy and jagged on the text part and you can definitely notice all this even from a distance.

take a look at this, you can see if the ideas they had work for you
http://www.kondura.co.za/?p=618

you might even try disabling sharpness filters completely.

if your tv is 120hz or if it has clearmotion try disabling them. does that help at all? while i wouldnt think it should affect text... i'm not sure what algorithms are involved and if it would affect this. you can always turn it right back on.

is your xbox outputting native 1080p or is it outputting 720p?

we have a samsung un40eh6000fxza (slightly bigger and newer version of what you have. also its 120hz but we disabled all that) and when hooked up to a laptop i've never really noticed any of the text problems you have. of course it could be that your particular panel isnt as good however i still say that you could likely change some settings to improve it.

ultimately if you cannot seem to find any way in the settings you could always try out a different model but you might come across the same problem.

bmbuilder14

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014

Tahnks for the suggestions, its 60Hz but it has clear motion..i dont think there is a way to turn it off.

bmbuilder14

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014

ok yeah i see it, mine was off the entire time but it didnt fix it.. the TV menu even has this text issue so thats how i know its specifically the TV's issue and not an HDMI problem. I might just have to return it and get an LG specifically this model LG 32LN5300, because i didnt notice any jagged text in that TV but i didnt think LG would be a better brand than Samsung. If you look loosely at the text you can see that it looks like there's missing pixels in the letters and that could be why it looks jagged.

sony, samsung and lg are the top three i'd pick from for tvs. if you like the lg better then go for it as you must be happy with it.

i know some of the earlier lines (before the 6000 series) had some panel issues in the samesung line. not sure if this is one of them or not. the 6000fxza however is perfectly fine (to my eyes at least). it could be the panel and not settings.... though i still say its likely a setting.

looks like aliased text (or more specifically text which doesnt have an anti-aliasing filter added to it). a square grid of pixels cannot make a smooth curve so it often will look strange (jagged) unless anti-aliasing (essentially blurring the edge) is added to make your eyes perceive what looks like a smoother line.

large fonts normally dont look jagged while small ones do.

if you think buying a new tv will fix the issue then i say go ahead and do it. you need to be happy with your purchase and LG isnt a bad brand.

Solution