Solved! Hard Drive on brand new Acer laptop very slow

Ill91_Gamer

Commendable
Aug 9, 2017
I bought an Acer laptop a couple of days ago with Windows 10. It worked fine until I turned it off from the screen saver screen via the power button. Once it turned back on, the loading looked like it froze after waiting for 5 minutes. So, I turned it off with the power button again. I kept doing this since the loading kept freezing until I got to a screen that said something like checking/cleaning hard drive C on boot. It took 30 seconds and then, it finally booted to Windows. But, of course, it froze again just by opening Google Chrome. So the process repeated until I got to the checking/cleaning loading boot screen once more. This time it took around 30 minutes. Then, it showed up another screen telling me to restart, which I did. It booted fine to Windows but still kept freezing. I looked into task manager and the hard drive was being used 100% and the fan was obnoxiously loud, while doing nothing. After a defrag, it seemed to work faster but I did experience lag. The hard drive was being used around 35-55%. After shutting it down in Windows this time, it booted up normal. I did some gameplay (on ROBLOX, basically a very big multiplayer platform with live games.) but encountered minimal lag. Then, after checking task manager once more, the hard drive was being used 100% again and the fan gets loud while it was just idle. Is there any way to fix this?

By the way, please notify me if you need any specs.

Solution
While past the return warranty, remember there is a manufacturer one as well. Those are usually a year.

I would suggest checking your internet connection for issues (sometimes it isn't ones computer). Also check for what software and services are running from the moment you start up Windows. There is often lots of things that are not needing auto starting that do. Which leads to drag/slowness and freezing.

When it comes to internet, make sure you are not allowing the cache and history to build up. Clean it out regularly, as to keep that from causing slowness and freezing. And make sure you actually restart the thing regularly. People don't seem to realize just closing a program doesn't give back all the resources it was using, so...

Ill91_Gamer

Commendable
Aug 9, 2017

The computer is past return warranty. But, the HDD has been faster and I don't experience lag spikes much longer. The only thing is that the computer may randomly just be slow. Is there any way to check what's happening or optimize it?

While past the return warranty, remember there is a manufacturer one as well. Those are usually a year.

I would suggest checking your internet connection for issues (sometimes it isn't ones computer). Also check for what software and services are running from the moment you start up Windows. There is often lots of things that are not needing auto starting that do. Which leads to drag/slowness and freezing.

When it comes to internet, make sure you are not allowing the cache and history to build up. Clean it out regularly, as to keep that from causing slowness and freezing. And make sure you actually restart the thing regularly. People don't seem to realize just closing a program doesn't give back all the resources it was using, so that can create issues over time too.

Things that should be good on a new computer, but over time can become issues, is making sure you keep everything updated, and make sure you run regular malware and antivirus checks of the computer.

Solution

Ill91_Gamer

Commendable
Aug 9, 2017

My internet is okay, since I always check the status. The only application I close to get into the game is Google Chrome. I only have Windows services on startup. I can make my games high priority in task manager, but will that change anything? By the way, there are no viruses on the computer, as I scanned it.

Chrome keeps its cache and history, it will just build and build. So be careful of that. :)

Hmm, I think it would depend on what you put it above, however if you are running only the game, nothing else should show in task manager.

If this stuff doesn't resolve it, then it may well be that the device just isn't powerful enough for what you are wanting to do.