Hard Reset Galaxy Note 10.1 (GT-N8013)

Zeke28

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016
I am having trouble getting my Note 10.1 into the Factory or Hard Reset mode. The tablet was working fine, placed it on the charger over night as usual. The next day turning it on, it would stop at the Samsung GALAXY Note 10.1 screen.

I am able to get it into the ODIN MODE by using the Power button + Volume DOWN at the same time, releasing the power button as the screen shows the intro screen. However, the Power button + Volume UP takes me to a dark screen. Eventually the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 screen reappears.

I downloaded Kies on the laptop but it will not recognize the Tablet as it is not in a functioning mode.

Any suggestions?

Try this to do the "Hard Reset"...

NOTE: Doing this will clear 'all' the data on your tablet, so it is suggested you not choose this option unless you have to, or aren't worried about losing anything on the device.

Be sure you back up any data you want to keep, to a computer or cloud account, before doing the reset.

To "Hard Reset" the tablet...

1. Make sure that the tablet is actually powered off.

2. Press the "Power" and the "Volume Up" buttons, together, until you see the start-up logo on the screen.

3. Once you can see the logo, release the buttons and allow the device to enter the "System Recovery Mode".

4. Next use "Volume Down" button to get to the "wipe data/factory reset" option When in recovery mode the "Volume Up" and "Volume Down" buttons are how to can navigate and highlight what option you need.

5. Once you have selected the "wipe data/factory reset", press the "Power" button to select that option.

6. On the following screen, repeatedly press the "Volume Down" button until the "Yes - delete all user data" option is what is selected.

7. Then press the "Power" button to hard reset the tablet.

Zeke28

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016
To "Hard Reset" the tablet...
1. Make sure that the tablet is actually powered off.
2. Press the "Power" and the "Volume Up" buttons, together, until you see the start-up logo on the screen.
3. Once you can see the logo, release the buttons and allow the device to enter the "System Recovery Mode".
WebWorkings - Your step 3 is slightly different than my previous efforts of continuing to hold the power up button until the tablet actually enters the reset mode. I attempted your step 3, three times for good measure. It still fails to enter the reset mode.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I hope a hammer is not the next remedy!

No no hammers. :)

Is there by any chance a Reset button on the device? It would be a small pinhole either on the edge or near the SD card area. If there is, you could try resetting it that way. It would not be a "Hard Reset" but a "Factory Reset". However, if it gets it working for you, that is all that counts. :)

Zeke28

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016

WebWorkings - Never thought of a reset pinhole! So maybe, maybe not. On the bottom edge near the charge port is a small pinhole. I thought it was a spot for the internal microphone. Before I shove a small object in that hole, I should seek out a schematic!

Top side does have a 3.5mm jack plughole.

Great tip, I'll let you know what I find or what happens.

Zeke28

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016
WebWorkings - According to http://www.dummies.com/consumer-electronics/tablets/samsung-galaxy-tab/where-to-find-features-on-your-galaxy-tab/, (the devices they show is a Tab not the Note but very similar) and describes that pinhole as a microphone location. So close!

Zeke28

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016

I have found many others with the same or similar issue on various forums. I have not seen anyone posting a "that fixed it" reply.

It is entirely possible that I'm not following the steps correctly, I think I am after having tried many times.
It is still not "Hammer Time".

Zeke

Zeke28

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016

Samsung was my first call. It was not still in warranty. I'm not sure they actually wanted to work on it by the description of the process. I had to send it to them along with a "$365 Bond" it may actually been $385 I don't recall. They would then work on it up to the full bond. No promise, no refund and no credit.

I have contacted a local computer repair shop. He assures me he is not an expert on the Android devices but he seems knowledgeable. His talking points were efforts I had already tried. He has a recovery program he wants to try. I have an appointment with him tomorrow.

Being a DIY sort of guy, I like to try to resolve my own issues but this one has grown beyond and professional help looks like the next alternative.

If I find myself in the market for a replacement tablet, what suggestions and why that particular one?
I use my tablet for surfing the web, email and Facebook. I don't like that my Android did not have spell check so that would be a nice added feature.

Zeke

Holy Moly. That is an insane amount of money for that, especially with no guarantee. I mean even a local tech will give you a warranty on work done. Sad sad.

That is odd that there was no spell check. I mean the system as a whole really doesn't have one, but individual apps, like messaging, email, etc., would have them.