Hardware Keylogger in-built in Gamepad

xmexhksx

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
Hi,

Is there a possibility that there is a hardware keylogger in-built into a gamepad that I have just bought?

If there is a hardware keylogger, what can it log? The stroke of the gamepad, or can it also install a software keylogger in the name of "gamepad driver", and keylog your whole computer, including your keyboard?

Sorry if this have been asked before, I google-ed, but could not find the information I need.

Thanks.

random stalker

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
well...
hardware keylogger works kinda like this - it is a physical thing that intercepts the communication between the device and computer and logs all activities... so, if it was inside a gamepad it would easily intercept everything you do on your gamepad and your gamepad only.

you had to be more creative if you want to turn the gamepad into a logging device - fix your own gamepad with a memory module, update the default gamepad drivers, upload them to your gamepads rom, abuse the usb vulnerability. that should suffice to turn that gamepad into a listening device :D

xmexhksx

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
What is a memory module? Something like flashdrive or something?
And if the gamepad is a logging device and it installed a software keylogger on my computer, will it be detected by any antivirus software?

random stalker

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Yes, something like that. if you want to steal some data, you need a place to store them /and them transmit them from the point of origin to yourself/,

Nope, if won't. It is a legit device after all with the declared functionality. But like I said, rigging gamepad would be very expensive and time consuming. A standard USB pen key with rigged drivers is way better/viable listening option imho. Also, you can easily code some nice keylogger virus if you wish to :D

Why do you ask? Is someone stealing your data? Or did just someone spread some anti usb-devices panic around?