Solved! HD box problems

lezu

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017
I have connected Explorer 4250 HD TV box (Scientific Atlanta) by coax cable to Samsung Smart TV, instead of HDMI. Everything seemed OK for one day. Then the HD box started recycling "boot" and code -1111-. I switched TV box power off/on again, but the TV box continued to recycle. The Customer Service told me that they cannot do anything, and the box is defective, which i doubt. Can you please help me out with a bit of diagnostics. (1) Is it OK to use coax as output from HD box to the TV (the box has HDMI output, but I did not have an HDMI cable)? (2). What is the code -1111-? (3) Any suggestions, explanations, advice will be highly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Solution
1. If you use the coax connection you are not getting an HD picture. Get an HDMI cable. However the connection to the TV is not the problem.
2.Why do you doubt that the box is defective? I don't know what the code means but it doesn't really matter. Since the cable box belongs to your cable provider and you pay a monthly fee to rent it normal procedure would be for them to replace it in a timely manner. Saying they can't do anything is unacceptable. They should have a tech there to replace the box by the next day.

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from lezu : "Is it OK to connect an Explorer 4250 HD TV box by coax cable to Samsung Smart TV?"

1. If you use the coax connection you are not getting an HD picture. Get an HDMI cable. However the connection to the TV is not the problem.
2.Why do you doubt that the box is defective? I don't know what the code means but it doesn't really matter. Since the cable box belongs to your cable provider and you pay a monthly fee to rent it normal procedure would be for them to replace it in a timely manner. Saying they can't do anything is unacceptable. They should have a tech there to replace the box by the next day.

Solution

lezu

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017

------------
Thank you for trying to help. I was not completely clear formulating the question. The box is mine, I just bought it; it had been previously used. It seems strange to become defective in just a day...

lezu

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017

-----------------
1. It worked initially (for a day), so something may have been set up improperly, or an automatic software upgrade to the box, or who knows what... That's why I am asking the question. Finding out what that "-1111-" code means might give an idea about the issue... Plus, I can learn from other people that might have been experienced the same problem, and were able to get a solution.
2. I cannot ask for the money back, since the box worked when the other guy was using it, It worked for me for a day as well (1 day). It would create unnecessary quarrel, since I cannot prove that I did not mishandled it...

TRENDING THREADS