HDMI Audio Extractor drops picture (not signal, but picture) if TV is turned off or audio output is changed

Feb 27, 2018
I purchased a Dinger Audio Extractor (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0728J5VKF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and have it plugged between my Roku and my Vizio TV. Most of the time I only get a black screen and no audio on the TV. When I unplug either the Roku or the Extractor my TV gives me a blue screen and a loss of signal message. When both are connected and powered up the screen changes to black. and says that I have 1080i HDMI. If I press the various audio buttons on the Extractor remote (2.0CH, 5.1, TV) the TV will flash the Roku screen momentarily and then go to Blue, then Black. If I use those flashes to navigate the Roku to the Settings/Display and have it rescan or try different resolutions sometimes I can sometimes get a long-term picture but not consistently. If I unplug the Roku then plug it in again and during startup press the TV audio button on the Extractor remote I can sometimes get a long-term picture. If I have a long-term picture and turn off the TV and then back on I go back to the blue screen then the black screen.

When I have the blue screen the TV shows I'm on HDMI1 but no resolution information. If I have coaxed a long-term output during Roku startup it initially says HDMI1 720p resolution then the screen will flash and the info from the TV says HDMI 1080i. If I turn off the TV and lose the picture the black screen still reports 1080i signal.

I don't seem to have a way to force my TV to a particular HDMI resolution, and I have tried different Roku resolutions without getting a consistent long-term signal other than occasionally during resets of the resolution.

Did I get a broken audio extractor?
Is this a sign of a cheap audio extractor and others on the market are more stable? (If so, which one)
Is this something typical of HDMI signalling and I'm SOL?
Something else?

Thanks,

Aaron

Solution
If you don't get these problems when the Roku is connected directly to the TV then the problem is either in the switcher/extractor or the cables.
Try different cables.
Try a different input on the TV.
Get a different extractor.
Feb 27, 2018
The cable from the Roku to the TV was re-purposed to run from the extractor to the TV. I had used a different HDMI from the Roku to the extractor. I tried a different one and had the same problem. I also tried swapping the HDMI cable from HDMI 1 on the TV to HDMI 2, same issue. So it looks like the extractor is the issue.

Thanks for the help! I'll be returning the extractor and trying to find one that works.

Aaron

Aug 16, 2018
Hi, did you get a different extractor? Did it fix the issue? I have a same problem with chromecast... however if I connect to PC monitor it works. Doesnt work for projector... I am also thinking of returning the extractor and get a new one.