HDMI length and latency...

justarendomguy

Estimable
Jun 14, 2014
I am trying to connect my PC to the TV which is around 10m away and for that I would need 10m(30ft) to 15m(50ft) long HDMI cable. I would use it for gaming so I would like to know if there is any extra latency at this distance. I know there is some signal lose on cables longer than 15m so would you recommend HDMI to CAT5 adapter or a HDMI cable if so which one?

Solution
Hi
I have used a PC with a 15m HDMI cable to a TV and there was no discernible increase in latency.
Propagation (speed through the cable which would affect latency) in cat 5 cable is 0.64 c or 0.64 the speed of light which is approx 300 000 000 meters per second. This would give 192 million meters per second in cat 5 which I imagine would be similar in a HDMI cable.So you can see that the delay introduced by 15 m of cable would be absolutely tiny and there is no way you could notice it.
If I were you I would use an HDMI cable.

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
I have used a PC with a 15m HDMI cable to a TV and there was no discernible increase in latency.
Propagation (speed through the cable which would affect latency) in cat 5 cable is 0.64 c or 0.64 the speed of light which is approx 300 000 000 meters per second. This would give 192 million meters per second in cat 5 which I imagine would be similar in a HDMI cable.So you can see that the delay introduced by 15 m of cable would be absolutely tiny and there is no way you could notice it.
If I were you I would use an HDMI cable.

Solution