HDMI not working with old receivver/new TV

crownpointdude

Estimable
Jan 21, 2017
As always, apologies if this was answered somewhere else and my search didn't find it.

My TV gave up the ghost and I just bought a 65" Sony Bravia XBR65X850D. I have a Denon AVR-3806 home theater receiver.

It appears that the receiver is not speaking the right flavor or version of HDMI. If I connect either my cable box or Roku directly to the new TV, it's all good. But if it is switched through the home theater, no go. For the cable box, the TV doesn't detect the signal, for Roku, the picture has a VERY reddish hue to it.

I could of course get a second long HDMI cable, crawl through the attic to lay it down, widen holes in the wall studs, reprogram the universal remote.

I had however been hoping to simply replace the dead TV with the new one and get back to old Robert Mitchum movies.

Any info would be appreciated. My level is "techie only when a problem arises," i.e. I can usually get it done, but I don't have the wide knowledge base a hobbyist has.

Cheers!

Tim

Before ripping the wall out, why not just run long-ist HDMI cables just to test things out. Be sure HDMI cables are v1.4 or later. First generation HDMI are known to not switch properly, more than 5 years old? Go to Denon and see if they have a firmware update. Worse come worse and you don't feel like upgrading that receiver, hookup everything video directly to TV and let the Denon deal with audio only.

crownpointdude

Estimable
Jan 21, 2017

Yeah, so everything is about 10 years old. Are you suspicious of just the cable or is it the receiver? Thanks!

crownpointdude

Estimable
Jan 21, 2017

OK, so I took the TV off the wall, dragged it across the room and connected it to the Denon with a 6' HDMI cable I had laying around. Things work fine! Not sure this qualfies as long enough for the experiment? You pretty confident a modern 50' cable would be the solution? (not a terribly expensive experiment)

Oh wait, I guess I meant the other way around, test directly with a shorter cable, which apparently works!

Ya, HDMI cables have length limitation. You can find out what that number is by Googling but I have a feeling not all vendors follow the standard to the letter. Your experiment is saying you are running into this length limitation.

Try searching for threads that talk about long HDMI cables and see what people have done to go over this hump.

crownpointdude

Estimable
Jan 21, 2017

Indeed, it does work, but is it because the cable is shorter or because it's newer? :)

Wish I can tell you, just do this and..... but no way to tell unless you can afford a very expensive HDMI signal analyzer or bring in an AV contractor with such equipment.

Once I seem to have hear something like an ACTIVE HDMI cable, they make it sound like it has built-in amplifier to re-generate the signal so it can go further, but is hear-say, fortunately I personally don't have this problem to have gone further to look into it.

crownpointdude

Estimable
Jan 21, 2017

After a whole bunch of trial and error, I think this might be the solution. Long or short cable, if I take the Denon out of the loop, the Roku and the cable box can talk to the TV no problem.

I assume the reasoning behind your idea is that the newer technology in the product you are recommending should have no problem handshaking with the new TV, correct?

Thanks for your input! :)