Headphone Y splitter not picking up voice. Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

emerald_piggy

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017
I have headphones with a microphone that has 1 output 3.5mm jack. My PC has a separate mic and headphone jack. So I bought a splitter cable off of amazon for like $5 that I plug my headphones into and it splits it. I plug it in and I can hear fine out of it but when I try to speak in discord nobody can hear me. I checked the sound settings and when I talk it doesn't pick up anything. This is the splitter I got https://www.amazon.com/Maeline-Female-Plated-Headphone-Splitter/dp/B00PYZ2BT4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1502116458&sr=8-5&keywords=3.5mm+y+splitter. Any solutions? Thanks!

Solution
Maybe like he said it isn't meant for PC. However just from experience, it should most likely work.

I was looking at the headphones on Amazon and under "frequently brought together" it shows aux splitter.

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Speaker-Headphone-Audio-Splitter/dp/B000067RC4/ref=pd_bxgy_23_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000067RC4&pd_rd_r=A9XHBRJS4B0RGNK0DGKN&pd_rd_w=L2Jfv&pd_rd_wg=Udjvl&psc=1&refRID=A9XHBRJS4B0RGNK0DGKN

Compare it with what you purchased and see if anything is different. Maybe something about this splitter will be more compatible for PC use.

androbourne

Prominent
Jul 18, 2017
If you disconnect the headphone jack but only leave the MIC jack plugged in. Can you see your voice bars moving in the Sounds Playback section when you do an audio test?

Is is possible the voice input device is disabled in the properties of Windows?

emerald_piggy

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017
The problem is definitely the splitter because when I take the splitter out and plug my headphones straight into the mic jack it picks up sound fine, but if I have the splitter plugged into just the mic jack and my headphones plugged into the splitter no sound picks up is there a way I can fix this?

emerald_piggy

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017
this is weird but I was fiddling with the splitter and I found out that if I plug the headphone side of the splitter into the mic jack and the headphone side of the splitter into the headphone jack it would register the sound but now I can't hear anything. I was looking in the sound settings and it basically registers both jacks as mics now.

faalin

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
looking into these a little more they are meant for Iphones/pads/macs and have a very different plug end MIC- (tip), Speaker+(ring 1), Mic+(ring 2) and ground (end part).

Dont think you will ever find a spliter for these for a normal PC

androbourne

Prominent
Jul 18, 2017
Maybe like he said it isn't meant for PC. However just from experience, it should most likely work.

I was looking at the headphones on Amazon and under "frequently brought together" it shows aux splitter.

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Speaker-Headphone-Audio-Splitter/dp/B000067RC4/ref=pd_bxgy_23_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000067RC4&pd_rd_r=A9XHBRJS4B0RGNK0DGKN&pd_rd_w=L2Jfv&pd_rd_wg=Udjvl&psc=1&refRID=A9XHBRJS4B0RGNK0DGKN

Compare it with what you purchased and see if anything is different. Maybe something about this splitter will be more compatible for PC use.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.