Headphones picking up fan noises.

Twinkielol

Commendable
Feb 16, 2016
So I have Turtle Beach X12's and I'm trying to do a recording, however ever since getting the new PSU and GPU when the computer heats up and the fans kick on I can hear the fans or hardware in a kind of staticy sounding way through the headphones and it goes into my recordings as well.

Now I'm assuming it's just because the headphone jack is right by these two things so it's probably picking it up somehow. Is there a way to eliminate this? I'm currently using the MSI Realtek MOBO sound drivers for the B85M-G43. I'm thinking about trying some different drivers to see if it makes the headset a little less sensitive. Any ideas on good universal sound drivers to try?

Solution

Yup, that sounds like a shitty device on turtle beach's side, which can't even excellent 5V stability the G2 has... You have little option but to run the USB separately.

Twinkielol

Commendable
Feb 16, 2016

It's a tier 1 PSU. I didn't recognize this issue though until I got these drivers. I can adjust hearing it through the playback volume slider however regardless of that being up or down it still shows full force in my recordings sometimes.

It's an EVGA Supernova Gold 850W, thus far it's worked great.

Unless it's the G2 (or maybe NEX, not quite as good as the G2 though), it's certainly possible that it's a PSU issue.

More likely though, it's a mobo one that has nothing to do with fans and everything to do with your GPU sucking down too much power. If the mobo design doesn't isolate the audio enough, it can show up quite easily. Another thing to look out for is overheating components, especially the op-amp/codec. Next time try using a blower (preferably bulb blower like the giotto rocket) to cool down the codec/op-amp a bit and see if that helps. If it does, you'll need to replace it. Not necessarily replace the mobo itself mind you, but you can always get something like the creative e3/e5 (and they just came out with a gamer oriented G5 that's basically a cheap E5 with headphone virtualization) or something from fiio

Looking at those headsets a bit more turns up that they use USB for power, which means nearly 100% chance it's a mobo/PSU issue. If you don't have system stability issues (random crashes), you can always get a powered USB hub or a phone charger pack to plug the usb into to isolate it from your shady 5V

Twinkielol

Commendable
Feb 16, 2016

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438018 This is my PSU, it is a G2.

I just discovered something thankfully due to what you mentioned. Temps are not unusual on my pc everything is very cool minus obviously the GPU as I'm playing Ark on high settings XD stupid unoptimized game.

Anyways, I read through Turtle beach's website and through the forums, apparently the X11's and X12's are extremely sensitive to electronic interference, which I imagine got worse when I got stronger equipment. There is also another known issue with them where apparently they don't always like to play friendly with other USB devices on a single mobo, especially if there's multiple USB devices plugged into said single Mobo, it's a power issue apparently. Turtle Beach recommends giving it a dedicated sound card to reduce feedback or trying a USB wall adapter such as the one they provide or the one that came with your smart phone. I tried this and it worked, not a single inkling of feedback being plugged directly into it's own power supply. I did however before that try plugging it into the upper USB port instead of the lower one and it was actually louder.

Sorry I deleted my old post and made this one, it's a little cleaner.

But do you think it was a power issue or an interference issue?

Yup, that sounds like a shitty device on turtle beach's side, which can't even excellent 5V stability the G2 has... You have little option but to run the USB separately.

Solution

Twinkielol

Commendable
Feb 16, 2016
"which can't even excellent 5V stability the G2 has..."

I'm sorry? Not sure I understand what you mean here.

Do you think there is electrical interference coming from my PSU? Which also I was curious, is the electrical interference that can happen BAD? Does it damage anything? Is there a way to test this?

I should also mention that the PSU is mounted at the bottom of the case, wouldn't be closer to it actually make it louder if its interference not further away?

Unless you have a high end digital oscilliscope (or know how to use an old school one) you won't be able to test it.

But it doesn't matter, the G2 has one of the best transient responses of any PSU out there, losing out only to the P2, Corsair RM860i, and the Seasonic XP2/XP3 . If one of those PSUs have an "issue", it's probably actually just your device.

TRENDING THREADS