Headset + Adapter not working on laptop

Tim9800

Estimable
Sep 25, 2014
After a month of waiting, my dream $20 headset finally arrives in Australia, but its microphone doesn't seem to like the headset adapter for my laptop (audio output on the headphones works fine). I'm pretty sure it is either of the following:

1. Something to do with the adapter (which can be found here)

2. The 3.5mm on my laptop is secretly a TRS, rather than a TRRS that I thought it would be (I'll show you what I mean down below)

I've tried the headset on my old PC which has the typical two-plug set up (mic + line out) and the headset works perfectly, including the mic. That rules a fault in the headset out.

My equipment is as follows:

Headset (KOTION EACH G4000 Gaming Headset)
Q6VYZza.jpg

Adapter (Unbranded)
sZ6hFUk.jpg

The only 3.5mm hole on my laptop
XTVZxcb.jpg

If you look at the laptop I/O port, the image is a pair of headphones, followed by a slash, then a mic. I'm pretty sure that means it works with both at the same time, but I could be wrong.

Diagnostics when the whole thing is plugged in:
NTqPDfT

JDupgqe

In the end, its probably my fault for buying a $1 headset adapter - should have saved up for something decent.

Help appreciated

Here's a potato for the long post

PV1lRzo

(dunno why the images aren't popping up)

Tim9800

Estimable
Sep 25, 2014

Unfortunately, my laptop doesn't have an extra USB slot, considering I use an external keyboard and wireless mouse. I've had a look at USB adapters before, but I decided the 3.5mm adapter would be a better option (maybe not the best, just really cheap)

R_1

Estimable
Herald
a usb hub out of the question? you have one port I can see from the pictures. you can using that one port theoretically plug in 127 devices simultaneously.
I would still suggest a test to verify that the plug is indeed a three connector and not a 4.

Tim9800

Estimable
Sep 25, 2014

How would I do that?

R_1

Estimable
Herald
https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.businessworld.com.au%2Fmedia%2Fcatalog%2Fcategory%2Fusb_hub.jpg&f=1

you have one usb available. you plug this into that plug and now you have 4 usb ports. get 4 more hubs and plug one into each port on the first hub and now you have 16 usb ports.
add 16 hubs to the ports and you have 64 usb ports. the USB spec allows 127 devices in a chain like this. although highly unlikely you will ever need that many the spec was made for just this occasion. you can add a cheap 4-port hub and plug the mouse, and a printer, and a gamepad, and the usb audio adaptor all through the one USB the laptop has.

R_1

Estimable
Herald
oh. whoops
plug in the microphone plug and test it, record something.
then plug in the headset. do they play?
if so you can be fairly sure the port is a three conductor, meaning one device at a time, as we know the four conductor plug does not
try the headset and the adaptor in your phone. that port is standard on phones and is probably what the adapter was meant for.

Tim9800

Estimable
Sep 25, 2014
Coincidentally, I found one of these on ebay (no intention of product endorsement):

Would this work in my situation? If I got it, then I would be able to save getting both the USB hub and the USB audio adapter. If it works, then my only concern would be price - the combo that you suggested might still be cheaper, and being cheap is a top priority for a broke teenager like myself.