Headset microphone not working, even with adapter.

capri-sonne

Estimable
Apr 6, 2015
Hello guys!
So, I've bought a plantronics headset with two jacks. To my dismay, my Asus laptop only has one audio/mic plug. I've then bought an adapter (2x3,5 female to 3,5 male). It has 3 rings on the male plug so it should be the right kind of adapter.
However when i plug it in, my laptop does not recognize the microphone. The headphones work well, with a nice sound output. But it just doesn't pick up the mic. It doesn't even show up on the control panel (even when i right click to show hidden devices).
The microphone works just fine on an older, 2-plug computer, so it's not a faulty headset.
Also, my drivers are up to date.

Any thoughts?

Solution
If the microphone works fine on a normal computer then the problem most likely is with the adapter.
I'm assuming your adapter is just to split the sound into two ( so as to enable a user to use two headphones simultaneously)
But what you actually need is something like this which specifically serve your purpose

http://www.amazon.com/Headset-Smart-phone-Adapter-3-5mm/dp/B00CTIOY9Y/ref=pd_sim_e_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=18WHWKBXWF54JN5SZ1D1

These specifically state that you can use your PC headset on your smartphone (or laptop ) that has a single 3.5mm port.

P.S the difference is inside the female end of the adapter where it splits the signal according to the rings.

Hope this helps.

parthtrivedi

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
If the microphone works fine on a normal computer then the problem most likely is with the adapter.
I'm assuming your adapter is just to split the sound into two ( so as to enable a user to use two headphones simultaneously)
But what you actually need is something like this which specifically serve your purpose

http://www.amazon.com/Headset-Smart-phone-Adapter-3-5mm/dp/B00CTIOY9Y/ref=pd_sim_e_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=18WHWKBXWF54JN5SZ1D1

These specifically state that you can use your PC headset on your smartphone (or laptop ) that has a single 3.5mm port.

P.S the difference is inside the female end of the adapter where it splits the signal according to the rings.

Hope this helps.

Solution

capri-sonne

Estimable
Apr 6, 2015

Thanks!
But i just noticed this: when i only plug in the mic jack to the pc (without the adapter) it still doesn's get recognized. Does this mean something?

Edit: I plugged in a karaoke mic (directly in the laptop, no adapter) and sound came OUT of it... Is this even normal? LOL

Needless to say, the karaoke mic also doesn't show up in the control panel.

parthtrivedi

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

1) No this only confirms the fact that you need the adapter that I've given and yours is indeed to split sound into two.
2) Yes that is normal it happens in my PC also.

capri-sonne

Estimable
Apr 6, 2015

But I do have a TRRS adapter like the one you showed me... It still doesn't work.
Also note that no other external mics (such as the karaoke one) work on my pc or come up in the control panel whatsoever.