HELP! Audio on custom PC is messed up after cleaning

XenoBladeNinja

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017
I was cleaning my PC out with compressed air at first. Then I turned it back on. My speakers (connected to mobo) played some weird white noise. I tried my hyperx cloud 1 on my case audio jack and it played white noise also. Whenever I move my mouse the white noise audio also changes for some reason. I tried my USB Corsair headset also and it didn't play white noise. [strike]However, it didn't play any noise at all.[/strike]
Edit : Oops, headset was just not charged.
Audio Sample : https://youtu.be/VhdcGiZg8do

Solution
Based on what you've said so far, it sounds like the compressed air killed your on-board audio. You can get a sound card to replace it, and that should solve the issue.

How old is the PC, and what hardware do you have? Also, it sounds like your primary use for the computer is gaming. If that's the case, you may want to get an entry-level Asus Xonar or Creative Sound Blaster. They aren't noticeably better than on-board audio, but serve as an adequate replacement if the onboard audio fails.

Most sound cards also provide connections for the front panel audio connector, so you should be able to get everything back up and running with a relatively simple upgrade.

XenoBladeNinja

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017

Yes, the corsair headset worked. However there is still static coming from the hyperx clouds even when it is disabled in "playback sounds"

the nerd 389

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
Based on what you've said so far, it sounds like the compressed air killed your on-board audio. You can get a sound card to replace it, and that should solve the issue.

How old is the PC, and what hardware do you have? Also, it sounds like your primary use for the computer is gaming. If that's the case, you may want to get an entry-level Asus Xonar or Creative Sound Blaster. They aren't noticeably better than on-board audio, but serve as an adequate replacement if the onboard audio fails.

Most sound cards also provide connections for the front panel audio connector, so you should be able to get everything back up and running with a relatively simple upgrade.

Solution

XenoBladeNinja

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017
My pc is 1 yr old, I have a r9 390, i5 4690k, gigabyte z97-hd3 with an evga 750w psu. I use the hyperX cloud 1 and corsair h2100 wireless headset. I don't know if any of this information helps but hopefully it does! Does the audio samples sound weird at all? Or is that completely normal for a broken sound card. I should probably mention that this has happened once before, however my solution was turning the computer on and off around 5 times.

the nerd 389

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
That's the distinctive sound of a failed power filter cap in the audio section of the motherboard. Most sound card failures are of this nature.

Technically, it could also be a blown op-amp, but those are far less prone to failure than the filter caps.

If it's a bad cap, it's technically possible to repair it. You'd need a replacement, a steady hand, a hot air rework station, and enough courage to melt the solder on a notable section of the motherboard.