Help choosing budget laptop for basic student use with Autocad and light gaming.

mikedp5

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
So here's the problem. I'm choosing a budget laptop. <$500 only and only in Microcenter store. I originally wanted this Lenovo Laptop from staples, but my mom wanted to buy from microcenter. I searched their website and found the same Lenovo but had 6GB of ram. It was the only thing that holds me back. I read some review that if using just 6gb on this laptop, it wouldn't function as dual channel memory or something like that. I also saw that Intel has this flex mode on ram, but this laptop is AMD A10-5750M. Anyone can help on this dual channel thing? I really wanted the one from Staples because it has 8GB of ram, which means it'll function in dual channel mode. I also browsed through other laptops, but I don't wanna go with HP (poor battery), or DELL or ACER. I wanted to try some other brands. Any insights on ASUS or Lenovo? Thanks.

EDIT: I'll be using the laptop for basic use, MS Office, light Autocad and 3DS Max maybe. And also light gaming, actually I'll just use it to play Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn while I'm not at home. That's why I'm fine with the 8650g of the AMD APU.

How does Intel HD4600 (Graphics unit of ASUS K550LA) fare against the 8650g (Graphics unit of Lenovo G505s)?

And also i5 4200u (ASUS) vs AMD A10-5750m (Lenovo)?

Lenovo G505s

ASUS K550-LA

mikedp5

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
1. What is your budget?
<$500

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
<15.6"

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Doesn't matter.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable, but not ultrabook.

5. How much battery life do you need?
Mediocre, around 3-4hrs

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes, Final Fantasy: A Realm Reborn. Low-Medium maybe.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Excel, MS Office, light autocad and 3ds max

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
500-1tb

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Microcenter only.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3-4 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
doesn't matter.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I wanna try Lenovo.
No HP (poor battery), DELL (had this one now, wanna try others), ACER, MSI.

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.