bobbothner

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
Hey guys, need a little help from you tech wizards! :)

I'm wanting to buy a new laptop, which needs to be fairly portable (~14"), and more than size, the weight matters most. I'm gonna be using it for school (Matlab, CAD, etc...) So needs decent processing power, and I'd like to be able to run current games halfway decently. I'd also like a decent battery life.

What kind of budget are we talking about, and which CPUs/ Graphic cards would do the trick?

If you have some examples of actual PCs for me, I'll have a look at take them(I'm a european buyer).

Thanks in advance! :)

I'm not European, so I can't help you there.

But for budget and other stuff, roughly $1000 for a good 14' laptop. However, finding a 14' laptop with a discrete GPU is difficult. Look for a i7 quad core CPU and a GTX 860M, GTX 950M, or GTX 960M (or higher if you find a sweet deal).

guanyu210379

Distinguished
@TechyInAZ: yes, there are 14" laptops with i7, GTX980M, etc.
Price will be the bigger issue. That is why I am asking about specs and budget first.
Those really powerful laptops are sh*t expensive. Over €1500 (USD2000).
I just found a website where you can configure the specs (with Germans pricing).
That website is good for a start. After you know more or less what you want, you can try to find similar laptops somewhere else. :)

guanyu210379

Distinguished
I have been looking around on notebooksbilliger.de and alternate.de
so far...
If you want an i7, 8/16GB RAM and dedicated RAM around €1100-1300, you must sacrifice size.
There is none or very difficult to fine with 14" but plenty from 15" and above.
If you insist with the 14", cranking the budget is unfortunately the only way.

Here is another website, where you can configure your own laptop:
http://www.one.de/shop/mini-allround-gaming-c-213.html

bobbothner

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013

Thanks, I'll have a look at those too. :)

I saw this PC which seems pretty decent (though a tad expensive, it's the only one where I can find performance + size for a decentish price). Your thoughts? :)

EDIT: I also saw the MSI just announced a new 14" gaming notebook, should I wait to see for the pricing?

guanyu210379

Distinguished
Which PC?
Desktop? Which Desktop?
did you forget to put the link? :D

Waiting is always virtue, but all i7 laptops with dedicated GPU and 14" big is quite a lot more expensive than €1200. I do not think the MSI one will be that much different in price.

bobbothner

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013

Here's the link... Sorry about that.... T_T
http://www.mysn.de/xmg-core-gaming-notebooks/xmg-c405

Yeah, I guess I'll have to up my budget then :/

Thanks for the help! :)