Help connecting my surround system to my blu-ray and smart tv

Frikity01

Prominent
May 7, 2017
Hello Everyone, I have an older (2004) harman/kardon avr130 reciever that im trying to set up with my Magnavox blu-ray player (model no. NB500MG9) and Vizio Smart TV (model no. E601i-A3). This is my first home theater set up and I have watched all the videos and read all the manuals I could find and I thought I had it but once again im stuck. My biggest issues are the reciever has no HDMI inputs or outputs or component inputs or outputs. So when it comes to connecting the video from the TV and Blu-ray to the reciever (so my reciever acts as the brain of the system) im stumped. If anyone could please help me and let me know what the best and highest quality way would be to hook it all up i would be greatly appreciative.

Thank you,
Matt

Frikity01

Prominent
May 7, 2017

The TV has what looks to be optical audio out, your standard R L component audio out and an HDMI port. The reciever has coaxial, optical, composite, and RL inputs. And the blu-ray has coaxial, RL and HDMI outputs. However, i believe i have the audio set up ok its the video im having issues with. For the audio i have an optical cable from tv to reciever and a coaxial from blu-ray to my reciever.

robert600

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
It doesn't sound to me like you can have your receiver act as 'the brain of your system'. This doesn't mean you're screwed though. what type of audio out does your tv have and ... what type of audio inputs does your receiver have?

robert600

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
ok good news ... i had a quick look at the tv and receiver manuals. the tv has optical out and the receiver has optical in.

So ... if it were me i would hdmi from blu ray to tv and .... optical (TOSLINK cable) from optical out on tv to one of your optical in on your receiver. And viola ... very nice quality sound from the receiver. And ... not just when the blu-ray is playing - the normal tv (or anything else that is hooked up to it and playing) will send the sound to your receiver.

Frikity01

Prominent
May 7, 2017

The TV has what looks to be optical audio out, your standard R L component audio out and an HDMI port. The reciever has coaxial, optical, composite, and RL inputs. And the blu-ray has coaxial, RL and HDMI outputs. However, i believe i have the audio set up ok its the video im having issues with. For the audio i have an optical cable from tv to reciever and a coaxial from blu-ray to my reciever.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Audio 10
B Audio 5
M Audio 2
ardacavdar Audio 1
H Audio 2
S Audio 1
A Audio 4
S Audio 2
T Audio 1
J Audio 1
U Audio 4