help deciding what graphics card i need.

young old man

Estimable
May 20, 2014
I am looking to get in to Pc gaming. I was think of getting a laptop as I would like to be able to game if I am away somewhere. But at the minute I am unsure of what graphics card I would need in my laptop. I plan on playing games such as titanfall, farcry, garys mod, Minecraft and hopefully gta 5 if it comes out on pc. My budget is about £1000 but I could stretch it if needed to about 1300. I was looking at a few laptops such as the msi gs70 with a gtx870 but would this be overkill. Please help me with what graphics card would be suitable for me and if you can recommend any laptops that would be good. Also is 17 inch or 15 better. I think I would prefer 17.

Solution
Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

Few weeks back I have the opportunity of test the MSI GS70 Steal Pro 2PE and it's an amazing gaming rig. Maybe you see it overkill right now, but in few month would be perfect for run new games and current games at max settings. I tested that rig with Titanfall, Crisys 2, DOTA 2, Sleeping Dogs and some other programs like 3DMark and the performance is constant. In games FPS was around 50-60 depending of the game at mid settings, laptop goes a little hot but nothing to worry about.

17" is almost perfect for a laptop gaming rig, 15 you be a problem IMO in some games. You can not go wrong with that MSI gaming laptop, my experience in that test was very good. Keep in mind that you will need an external mouse...

cabudinen

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
I would get a desktop if I was you, laptops are not good for gaming. The GTX 870m would be close to 750ti which is the entry level of GTX cards. The 880m would perform close to GTX 760, but not as fast. If you are planning on playing @ 768p resolution I think you will be fine, but 1080p on a laptop is really pushing it. Don't forget it will overheat because everything is so cramp inside. Good luck!

young old man

Estimable
May 20, 2014

Thanks. Yeah I would get a pc however I will be going to uni soon so I will need to have a laptop. For class and to be able to travel the odd time with it. Also I don't know as much about pc as laptops and I don't have a clue what pc i would buy due to how many different components there are to configure.

saint19

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

Few weeks back I have the opportunity of test the MSI GS70 Steal Pro 2PE and it's an amazing gaming rig. Maybe you see it overkill right now, but in few month would be perfect for run new games and current games at max settings. I tested that rig with Titanfall, Crisys 2, DOTA 2, Sleeping Dogs and some other programs like 3DMark and the performance is constant. In games FPS was around 50-60 depending of the game at mid settings, laptop goes a little hot but nothing to worry about.

17" is almost perfect for a laptop gaming rig, 15 you be a problem IMO in some games. You can not go wrong with that MSI gaming laptop, my experience in that test was very good. Keep in mind that you will need an external mouse and keyboard for better performance.

Solution

young old man

Estimable
May 20, 2014

Yeah the gs70 stealth pro looks good. However its very expensive and I wouldn't have any money left for goin out much this summer but would it be worth it.