Help me figure out which laptop to buy!

BlueBeast

Estimable
Dec 15, 2015
Hi, I need to some to choose a laptop for regular use.

As its main purpose it is a laptop for work and school. But I would like it to be able to run some games at a decent / medium frame rate.

Budget does not really matter but would like to keep it below 1240 £

Requirements:
-light or normal weight, as it's going to be in a backpack often. I don't want it to be extremely heavy

-Be able to go into "stealth mode", yes the fans will be loud when its playing games, but in idle mode it should not be loud in class

- No less than 15 inches

- Should be able to play CS:GO and Leauge of Legends at at decent fps (40-50) on low settings.

Please link some suggestions that you think will fit my style. Thank you!

Solution

Chugalug_

Estimable
That's a lot of money for a laptop! :)
I can spend much less for your needs.
This has a 960m on board and should easily max League and CS:GO at 60fps, 15.6".
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Inspiron-i7559-763BLK-Full-HD-Keyboard/dp/B015PYYDMQ?ie=UTF8&tag=pcp0f-21

If you want to spend a little more, there's this version, but it has an UHD Display meaning that maxing it might be a bit of a struggle with the 960m, so probably stay away from that.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Inspiron-i7559-763BLK-Full-HD-Keyboard/dp/B015PYYDMQ?ie=UTF8&tag=pcp0f-21

BlueBeast

Estimable
Dec 15, 2015

Do you mind explaining why the UHD version is a bad choice? Obviously it requires more from the GPU since it's in higher resolutin. But wouldn't you just turn down the settings and achieve the same fps and the other model but with better resolution

Chugalug_

Estimable

Nope.
In 4k you render essentially 4 times the amount of pixels present in 1080p, meaning you will get a quarter of the performance.
Sure you could turn down anti aliasing, but the performance would still be bad, and you can't change the res to 1080p, because it would result in a blurry image due to the fact that it is not native 1080p.
Besides, a GTX 1080 can barely power a 4k display at 50fps, a 960m is just not going to cut it for gaming.

Solution