Help me pick out an HDTV for PC gamin monitor.

cbeermann

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Hey Tom's community,

So I recently purchased an LG 42LK520 HDTV for the intended use as a gaming monitor for my PC. I had to return it because it had WAY too much input lag and playing games was impossible. In other words, I am again in the market for an HDTV.

Requirements:
40 inch (preferred) but 42 inch is also okay
1080p
Many inputs with VGA, HDMI, and other composite inputs
NO INPUT LAG!!!!!!!
around $500

I have heard that Sharp Aquos are the best for gaming on an HDTV for PC's because they have no noticeable input lag, but I would like many opinions.

If anyone has any good charts for comparing input lag and picture quality it would also be of great help!

Thanks for your time,
Curtis

Solution
personally i'd get a 40" 1080p sony bravia, the 60hz ones. i believe these ones use s-ips panels. i have one and i havent noticed any lag.

i believe some people notice input lag on 120/240hz tvs because of all the conversion of the signal. if you run a straight 60hz to a 60hz tv as long as the response time is less than 16ms you shouldnt notice any lag or other issues.

you might not find vga as an input (why are you using vga anyways on a 1080p tv?) just convert vga to hdmi if absolutely required. most tvs have multiple hdmi and composite plugs.
personally i'd get a 40" 1080p sony bravia, the 60hz ones. i believe these ones use s-ips panels. i have one and i havent noticed any lag.

i believe some people notice input lag on 120/240hz tvs because of all the conversion of the signal. if you run a straight 60hz to a 60hz tv as long as the response time is less than 16ms you shouldnt notice any lag or other issues.

you might not find vga as an input (why are you using vga anyways on a 1080p tv?) just convert vga to hdmi if absolutely required. most tvs have multiple hdmi and composite plugs.

Solution

cbeermann

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I have also heard good things about the sony bravia's. Do you know the serial number of any specific good ones?

The TV i had was 120hz capable, bu ti had it turned off, but it seems that it was still interpolating frames because it was so laggy.

As for the VGA, Im not using it, Im using HDMI. It's just nice to have it on there in case I ever do need it so I dont have to get a bunch of cable converters and what not

clonazepam

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
Damn. I was considering a 120hz tv for an optional pc output. I would have the standard 23" monitor, and sometimes connect to the tv via hdmi. I was hoping this would work with nvidia 3dvision kit. if the input lag sucks I guess that kills that option. I guess i'll wait for an asus 27" 3d monitor, then do the occasional connection to a standard 60hz hd tv.

I'm looking for a 46" to 55" great hd tv w/o input lag. Didn't mean to hijack or anything, but after seeing this thread, it didn't seem right to open a nearly identical one.

clonazepam

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
I spent a couple hours at Fry's Electronics in LA yesterday. I looked at every hd tv they had on the floor. I found the Sony and Samsung models to be the most impressive. I hope that helps you in choosing. I'm going to go to Sears and Best Buy later today to look at more models, so I can report back in a day or so, if I buy one and hook it up to the PC.

clonazepam

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
So I spent a ridiculous amount of time yesterday at Sears and Best Buy. I ended up purchasing a Samsung 46" 1080p LED 120hz. I love the bezel design. It's the typical black but the edge, about 1cm, is clear plexy-type material, so it has a nice effect.

46" Class (45.9" Diag.) 6000 Series 1080p LED HDTV

6000_Smart_UpdatedWObrowSky.jpg

The idea was occasional PC use anyway, so I opted to go with it being for HD cable and blu-ray playback primarily. It'll be here on Tuesday, and the first thing I'll do is run the HDMI from the PC to it and check it out.

clonazepam

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
Ok so I busted my ass today putting together the tv stand / set up that tv.

Initial take... its freaking awesome. I loaded up Assassins Creed Brotherhood. It's too much of a stretch to use keyboard+mouse so I have been playing it with a 360 controller. There's zero input lag in this configuration. I'm really sore and tired so I probably won't mess with keyboard+mouse in a fps until tomorrow.

clonazepam

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
To the OP, is any of this feedback of my experiences helping you at all? I'm highly favoring Samsung for overall quality and that mess with Apple is just more encouragement to support Samsung. From what I could find, the newer LEDs range from 2-5ms response depending on the size of the display (I think). They have many LEDs with very similar styling in many different sizes to suit your needs and budget.

I recently returned a nearly exact copy of the above TV that was 27" but also had blu-ray 3D support. It's 3D didn't jive well at all with PC gaming and was the main reason I returned it. It also developed a buzzing sound when it wasn't receiving a signal, like while the PC was between shutdown and start-up. However, in every other way, the 1080pX60hz was the absolute best display I had ever seen (I have that same quality in the larger Samsung).

cbeermann

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I ended up getting a 40" Sony Bravia. It has to be 60hz cause 120hz will have input lag no matter what you do because of interpolated frames. I didnt want anything above a 40" cause 40" is true 1080p instead of stretched 1080p . Thanks for all the responses, everything helped a lot. To Clonezapam, I thought about samsungs, but they are notorious for having bad panels. The life expectancy of a samsung is much lover than a sony or sharp counterpart. Don't get me wrong, i still like samsung, just not for a PC TV. Side-note, *** Apple.

nkke

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011

Which model did you end up buying, cbeermann? Did you notice any input lag? I'm looking for one aswell.

whatever do you mean by "cause 40" is true 1080p instead of stretched 1080p." ?

1920x1080 monitors range all the way from 22" and below to over 80" in size. as long as the number of pixels is the same how can one be called "true" in any real sense of the word? i will agree though that 40" is a good size to work with.

--

on 120hz tvs there is normally a pc mode which i believe will revert back to 60hz but i'm not positive. i know others have gotten 120/240hz tvs to work. however, for less issues i always recommend 60hz as at least all of the scenarios i've been in they are plug and play without any issues.

--

as far as brands go... i really like the bezel design of samsung as well but i agree with the comment regarding longevity. my sony is about 3 1/2 years old now and still going very strong.