Help me select a computer, please. I am 73 and don't know much about one but want to learn

gogalgo

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
I want a touch screen Windows 8.1 (pro??) I played with one of these for a few hours and loved all it would do.
]I am retired and spend most days writing books and articles. I want to be able to create short videos on You Tube to advertise and tease buyers about my books in hopes of selling them one. I want to use it mostly for typing my books and downloading them to be published.. I do NOT play games but do watch some videos and CDs.
I want to do my pictures and covers for my books.
My son who does very different work than I do, suggest a Lenovo all in one, but it has no battery and I would die if I lost hundreds of pages during a power surge.
However, my eye sight is not what it used to be and I do like their large screen. I know this will likely be the last computer I every purchase so I want it to serve all my needs for a long time. What can you recommend? I would like it be under $1500. if possible, but knowing it's the last I will buy could influence my pocketbook.

2x4b

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
Solution
Unless you need mobility, you should simply by a desktop / all-in-one PC and a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) as recommended above. There are two types of UPS; standby and continuous. Either way the UPS is connected to the A/C outlet and the PC is connected to the UPS.

Standby UPS are more common and less expensive. This type of USP simply waits and monitors the power from the AC outlet. If it detects a problem, then it quickly switches over to the battery so that you have time to save your work.

Continuous UPS are probably 2x more expensive than standby UPS. They are used in mission critical environments like in corporate server rooms. The PC draws power directly from the UPS which is continuously recharged by the A/C outlet. In this scenario you do not have to worry about situations where a standby UPS may not detect a problem with the A/C line. Or if there is actually loss of power, then you do not need to worry if the standby UPS will switch over to the battery in time.

Good suggestions above. And as with anyone - especially those relying heavily on their data being preserved at all costs - have a backup solution! You may even consider subscribing to a cloud service - preferably one that offers automated backup. The subscriptions are generally reasonably priced and are offered as a monthly service fee or an annual one.