High quality closed headset Need help!

noodlezz

Estimable
Jan 8, 2016
i've been looking into getting a headset with high quality sound. The PC 350 SE and G4ME ZERO seem nice. but are there any closed headsets, with great sound, that do not have 150 Ohm impedance?

Otherwise I'd like any suggestions on high quality closed headphones, kinda budget? Something like the DT 770s, I think? I don't know much about good sounding headphones, which is why I'm asking here. Also what amp should I get with whatever headphone

All in all pleaes suggest headsets, headphones + amp setups.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Solution
given that you live in europe, you can get a good buy on beyerdynamic products like the dt770 (closed) or dt990 (open).

the three choices i'd suggest from the lineup:

dt770-80 bassiest of the 770 lineup.
dt770-250 most refined sounding of the 770 lineup.
dt990-pro-250 not quite as bassy as the 770's but much wider soundstage due to being open.

all of them have good bass, the 770s more than the 990. they are not bass cannons but have enough to keep most people satisfied.

there is also the new dt770-m-80 and i think its the same as the 80 except with greater isolation (sound muffling) ability.

as far as amplifiers are concerned, the fiio e12 or schiit magni would be great to pair with the dt's

agree, the v-moda products are on the...
pc350se and game zero are pretty much the same thing headphone-wise.

the new game zero is only 50ohm impedance not the 150ohm they started w ith.

the hyper x cloud is closed as well and is not a bad set of cans. not as good as the senns, but not bad either.

the ath-ad1 based on the a700x headphone isnt a bad choice as well. the whole a500x a700x a900x lineup is all closed versions of the ad-XXX headphones. while not as good because of smaller soundstage than the open versions they give you a bit of isolation in exchange. (closed cans generally have worse soundstaging).

the dt770 is not a bad can at all and has decent soundstaging for closed. it is however opposite of what you were looking at and has a v-shaped signature with more bass/treble response. they are also capable of pretty decent sub-bass.

akg cans are nice bass-light choices as well but much harder to drive.

i think you need to start off giving us some numbers to work with. what total budget (including headphones, amp and mic if you need one) are you comfortable spending? for what purpose are you getting the equipment? what kind of taste or requirements do you have (such as bass light for fps advantage)? do you have glasses or large head/ears? is closed a requirement?

noodlezz

Estimable
Jan 8, 2016

Thank you for your quick answer, this is kinda weird but i was researching a bit earlier and found another respond of yours and that's why i asked here.

My spending money is probably gonna be around 200-400$, I live in europe though so keep that in mind. Like a modmic alone is 70 bucks..

As for purpose I need just a pair of really nice sounding headphones, I listen to a lot of rap and electronic music, so not bass light at all. I don't really care about ingame sound, sorry about the tag.

I spend a lot of time talking to friends, and i just hate the idea of one of those dildo mics or whatever.

noodlezz

Estimable
Jan 8, 2016

Not really. I'm just trying to see what people recommend, then see what stuff i can even get where i live.

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Gotcha I'd say that since you like rap and electronic and you want closed headphones you should take a look at V-Moda's products. In particular the M100 and Crossfade Wireless. They also make an accompanying mic that pretty good and pretty cheap.

given that you live in europe, you can get a good buy on beyerdynamic products like the dt770 (closed) or dt990 (open).

the three choices i'd suggest from the lineup:

dt770-80 bassiest of the 770 lineup.
dt770-250 most refined sounding of the 770 lineup.
dt990-pro-250 not quite as bassy as the 770's but much wider soundstage due to being open.

all of them have good bass, the 770s more than the 990. they are not bass cannons but have enough to keep most people satisfied.

there is also the new dt770-m-80 and i think its the same as the 80 except with greater isolation (sound muffling) ability.

as far as amplifiers are concerned, the fiio e12 or schiit magni would be great to pair with the dt's

agree, the v-moda products are on the bassy side and are not bad. europe pricing however looks to be incredibly high so they may be out of the question.

dildo mic? are you talking about the blue yeti by any chance? there are other options but if you arent recording then the modmic or similar is more than good enough sounding.

Solution

noodlezz

Estimable
Jan 8, 2016

Thank you very much, your help is much appreciated.
I've been recommended the zalman zm-mic1 as a cheap, but good mic? Is it really all you need or do i have to go for the more expensive ones

remember, you get what you pay for. its a cheap mic with cheap build and audio quality. yes, it will work in a pinch but there are also many users who drop it and buy something later because they do not like how bad it is.

the modmic is a bit expensive but also has pretty decent sound quality. if that is too expensive or you do not care about quality as much the moovmic is a similar option.

as far as other lavalier mics similar to the zm1 in style, most require pre-amps. only specific products described to work directly with pc do not (zm1 is one of them). of course 3.5mm mics like the modmic/moovmic also do not need a preamp.

tldr: depends on what you are expecting. watch youtube videos for quality tests. from what i've heard it picks up everything including case fans/typing and only has barely acceptable quality.

noodlezz

Estimable
Jan 8, 2016
To be honest I've been kind of faling in love with the m-100 shadows. If I can get a deal I'm most definately going for them. Would i need an amp or anything for them?
I have an Asus B85m-e, if that means anything

DT770: cleaner sound, much more comfortable, better isolation, more durable, v-shaped with both vibrant bass and treble.
M-100: slightly more bass, subdued mids/highs, more portable and works without amplifiers, look WAY cooler, you could use the v-moda boompro mic

while i would say the dt770 is all around the better product, the v-moda arent bad if you like a sound most focused on the lower end. ultimately its your choice as to what you prefer - that is why there are so many varying products out on the market as taste is different.

noodlezz

Estimable
Jan 8, 2016
That's interesting, I've heard that the DT 770s are supposed to be sligthly uncormfortable. Either way I don't think I'll have any problems with any over-ear phones as my ears a quite small and don't stick out much :3

Anyways thank you so much for you help