Home media/streaming sever software?

Cabbage363

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
Ok so my family/I would like to have a home server for streaming movies, picture's, documents, etc...... I have done some research into the idea of making a "home server", and the choice's of software are imminence. FreeNAS, MythTv, PlexTv..... I have none or the bare-bone's of this knowledge. Since I am the most "Techy"(don't like the use of that word) one in the family they resorted to me(their son). I have no clue on what to do or even where to start, but i am willing to learn. The system/build is easy, i sorta know the correct path to go, when building it. The software is the hard part.

Requirements

• *Stream/Share Videos/Files/Photos to mobile device(s)[i.e. iPhone, Android, iPad(mini,iPad 1&2), iPhone]
    *Stream/Share Videos/Files/Photos to computer(s)[i.e. Desktop, Laptop....]
    *Permissions [like sign in for each user separate from each other]
    *GUI for mobile[not sure, i don't fully understand the idea of streaming to mobile]
    *Also security if possible

I'll take any recommendations on sever software. (Also open to any OS)

----- Thank You -----

Solution
I have been using Plex for nearly a year now and can not think of a bad thing to say about it! You are able to Stream videos, pictures, and music to computers, phones, and even TVs. Here are the basics of how it is setup.

You first make an account on www.plex.tv. After that you install the server onto the machine that has the media on it. From there you make different Libraries. While setting up the libraries you can tell it where all the media is. It can even be in multiple places. After that the server will scan the media, then sort it and download all of the meta data. From then on you can log into your account and stream from within your home network. You can also set Plex up to be able to stream to a device from anywhere...

InfoOverloader

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
I have been using Plex for nearly a year now and can not think of a bad thing to say about it! You are able to Stream videos, pictures, and music to computers, phones, and even TVs. Here are the basics of how it is setup.

You first make an account on www.plex.tv. After that you install the server onto the machine that has the media on it. From there you make different Libraries. While setting up the libraries you can tell it where all the media is. It can even be in multiple places. After that the server will scan the media, then sort it and download all of the meta data. From then on you can log into your account and stream from within your home network. You can also set Plex up to be able to stream to a device from anywhere with an internet connection if you want.

If someone else in your family wants to watch something on the server, they can make an account of their own on www.plex.tv. You (the server owner/manager) can then share the libraries with them. This way everyone has their own account, and can customize to their needs.

If you end up loving Plex (which I am sure you will) then you can purchase Plex Pass. This gives you access to the premium features. Some of the feature include sync and camera upload. Plex Sync is where you can download your media to a device for offline viewing. Say you are about to travel across the country. You would pull out your tablet, find a couples movies you want to watch and press the sync button. THAT'S IT. In a few minutes those movies will be downloaded to your tablet. So when your 30,000 feet in the air you can watch your favorite movies.

Camera upload is great too. If you take a picture or pictures on your phone, the next time you are connected to WiFi and you plug your phone charger in, Plex will automatically upload those picture to the media server. This makes it available to anyone who you have shared the library with.

If you decide to go with Plex I will be more than happy to help you set it up. Just send me a message!

Hope this helps!

Solution

Cabbage363

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
@InfoOverloader
I truly don't have to wait for anyone else to respond to this because you have me sold on "Plex.tv". I did do research on it but never was sold on it, of cource like many other people they look for the best and cheapest option. But i guess for the server i might aswell pull out all strings and pay for the streamer. Just gotta convince my parents on the hardware cost's and Plex(plan on getting life time pass). Thank you again.

Also, quick question :

Does it work on a Linxus based system?

InfoOverloader

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
It does work on Linux, but I have no idea how to work anything Linux.

This is my setup. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/F383gs But this is also the computer I use for gaming and everything else.

If you are on a budget try this one. It will still preform great. http://pcpartpicker.com/user/InfoOverloader/saved/fMWBD3 The small form factor makes it easy to hide away behind a couch or something.

I can put together a parts list for you if you tell me the budget.

Cabbage363

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013

My budget is around $400-$600. Also, just leave out the OS. I'm just gonna use Linux. And Thank You again.

Glenn_hinton

Estimable
Oct 7, 2014