Home Network and internet usage Monitoring

DragonPrinces

Estimable
Apr 24, 2014
Hey Guys

I live in a house with 6 people all using the internet we only have a 4mb(Down)/500kbs(Up) line. Most of us game online so we try and keep Downloading to a min during gaming time but sometimes there is congestion and i have to go around asking everyone what they are doing to my internet. We have 4 Desktops 4 laptops and miscellaneous tablets phones etc.

I know there must be network/internet monitoring software out there and i have spent hours looking but i am not a guru so a lot of the programs out there i only just understand so i cant make an informed decision.

I have a spare box i can setup as a server to route all the network traffic though. Its clean so i can load any OS on there needed for the program.

What i would like this software to monitor if possible:

• Log total usage per User or device
    Live readout of current usage over the entire network
    Live readout of current usage of internet bandwidth.
    The ability to limit bandwidth usage per user if needed.
I think that's pretty much the basics of what I'm looking for any extras would be a bonus i suppose.

What do you guys suggest in a case like this?

Solution
:hello:

Kindly I ask your attention.

I think that the software might be out there, I just don't know anything about it.
But I know to find an appropriate software to install on your router, we need to know your router.
All the information you have about it.

So, when you want to be so kind to edit your question with additional information about your router, we could search more effective for the needed software you might need.! :)

Internet connection:

You have a total of 4 Mb/s DL & 500 Kbs/s UL. What means splitted in 4: 1 Mb/s DL & 125 Kbs/s UL.
That's not much, but it can be done.
Games use more and more bandwidth/internet connection, so gaming should be more like:
You can game now, you can game later, aso.
What you could do...

MeneerWitte

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
:hello:

Kindly I ask your attention.

I think that the software might be out there, I just don't know anything about it.
But I know to find an appropriate software to install on your router, we need to know your router.
All the information you have about it.

So, when you want to be so kind to edit your question with additional information about your router, we could search more effective for the needed software you might need.! :)

Internet connection:

You have a total of 4 Mb/s DL & 500 Kbs/s UL. What means splitted in 4: 1 Mb/s DL & 125 Kbs/s UL.
That's not much, but it can be done.
Games use more and more bandwidth/internet connection, so gaming should be more like:
You can game now, you can game later, aso.
What you could do about the games is, check for there specifications to see How Much Internet they need. So, according to that information you could setup a game plan too.
Watching video's online, might be the same. Try it and see what has being in use.
Internet surfen, chatten, emaillen and downloads will be possible at once. Depending on how many downloads.
VoIP, I don't know. I know it will use a lot of your internet connection I guess. At the time, give it a try.
Well, the bigger the total Mb internet connection is, the better it will let you do more.

Hopefully I let you known enough, that you will find the answers you seek! :)

Good luck & have fun doing it! :)

Best Regards,

MeneerWitte

Solution