12dfiopaw

Great
May 3, 2018
Hello I have a home theater system called samsung ht-j5500w I am trying to get a center speaker for it but am having trouble selecting which one would work. The specs page for the the ht-j5500w blue ray home theater player is this on page 47
https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20171212074200/Manuals/305/305HTJ5500.PDF The speaker I want is on this page https://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-C452-Channel-Speaker/dp/B014VIX0YY/ref=sr_1_43?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1525374419&sr=1-43
really I need to know if the blue ray player amp is too much for the speaker or not. The specs for the speaker are around mid way down the page.

Solution
Speakers sold in a set as this is are usually tonally/vocally matched and especially so when you get into more high end, audiophile setups. Seeing that the speakers in the set use a proprietary connection to the receiver unit, there's no guarantee the speaker you want is going to work right even if you rewired it with the original wire. Not to mention that the base unit may not be able to push an adequate amount of power to the desired unit to make it sound as it should.

If something is wrong with your original center channel speaker, you should try to get another one directly from Samsung. If not and you're looking to upgrade, you'd be better off ditching that Samsung package and spending on a decent HT receiver and individual...

kanewolf

Judicious
If you don't have the original center channel speaker, the biggest problem will be that a random ($22) speaker won't sound like the two other front speaker. So sounds will change timber and tone as they move across the front three speakers. That speaker is a 6 ohm speaker that is double the impedance of the other stock speakers. It will have to be set to be louder than the front speakers to compensate for the impedance mismatch.

Will it work? Yes. Will it be damaged, probably not. Will it be easy to connect? Only if you have the original center channel wire. Will it sound good? I wouldn't bet on it.

SkyBill40

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
Speakers sold in a set as this is are usually tonally/vocally matched and especially so when you get into more high end, audiophile setups. Seeing that the speakers in the set use a proprietary connection to the receiver unit, there's no guarantee the speaker you want is going to work right even if you rewired it with the original wire. Not to mention that the base unit may not be able to push an adequate amount of power to the desired unit to make it sound as it should.

If something is wrong with your original center channel speaker, you should try to get another one directly from Samsung. If not and you're looking to upgrade, you'd be better off ditching that Samsung package and spending on a decent HT receiver and individual speakers. It may be more expensive but it'll be worth it in the end.

Solution

12dfiopaw

Great
May 3, 2018
Thanks guys for the answers I live at a disabled veterans home they tend to be very cheap on buying stuff. I have not actually checked samsung for another center channel speaker; but, I know buying from them directly can be expensive. In this case I bought wire clips that would allow the speakers to connect to the samsung theater, so far 2 speakers were donated because I helped a vet with something and work the center is the last one I need. I offered to kick in on the speaker thinking maybe around 30 bucks total with shipping. As far as the sounds go they can be adjusted in the theater settings menu and I would assume most of the vets don't have an ear for a little sound variation or difference. So what I should be looking for is a 3 ohm speaker is that correct and what would the watts be for that. When I compared the back of the other speakers they only say what the ohms are not watts like the speaker I listed. The speaker I listed which is not the correct one I need, said recommended amp power 5-60 watts and is 6 ohms and the theater system says

Speaker (5.1 ch speaker system)

Impedance Frequency Range Rated input
3ohms 200hz~20khz 165w
Center 20hz~200hz 170w

To me it looks like on the home theater chart that the center speaker occupies the 200hz~20hz freq range and the 170W rated input going across. Oh and the 3 ohm impedance. Personally I don't mind finding a used one as well on ebay or something else just want to get the correct one would that be 3 ohms rated for 170w when looking for one or is that something the home theater is outputting to the speaker. The chart has both input and output and both are the same 3 ohms 170w for center. Thanks again for your input this was so much faster than bleeping computer or techguysupport seems people care and I have really been ripping my hair out with this thing, not only have I been trying to get this speaker but also had to figure out why some were not working all the time finally got the answer to that one but it took a while.

SkyBill40

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
Mixing different Ohm rated speakers isn't an ideal situation as you could potentially cause damage to either the receiver/base unit, the speaker, or both. That's not to say it can't be done, but there is a risk involved.