Nov 23, 2019
Hi Experts,

I am facing a unique issue in connecting my desktop to home theatre via hdmi. Even after a lot of self reading and experiments I have not been able to resolve it.
Hence your advice is needed to resolve this issue.

Following devices are involved in this process
  1. Customized Desktop with no video ports in Motherboard. Only a GPU - Radeon HD6850. Windows 7 OS
  2. Home Theatre with receiver Yamaha RX-V583.
  3. Sony TV - 40W562D.
  4. Laptop with Windows 10.

Successful Connections :
  1. Laptop >>HDMI>>TV
  2. Laptop >>HDMI>>Receiver>>HDMI>>TV
  3. Desktop>>HDMI ARC>>TV - Successful after a lot of trials in various resolutions and enabling GPU Scaling in CCC.
  4. Desktop>>HDMI>>TV>>HDMI ARC>>Receiver
  5. Desktop>>Optical Link>>Receiver

Unsuccessful Connections:
1. Desktop>>HDMI>>Receiver
In playback devices in sound options in desktop, I see HDMI Out as "not plugged in"
2. Desktop>>HDMI>>Receiver>>HDMI>>TV
In playback devices in sound options in desktop, I see HDMI Out as "not plugged in". But desktop recognizes Sony TV. So when I duplicate the display on desktop and TV, HDMI Out in playback devices get active and I set it to default. But there is no display on Sony TV. I test HDMI out in playback devices - I can see the volume colours going up and down but no sound output. I configure the speakers and it gives me various options like 5.1 and 7.1. I test it but again no sound output.

Following are up to date
  1. The graphic cards drivers.
  2. Windows 7 patches and updates.
  3. AMD Catalyst Control Center
  4. Receiver
  5. TV

I tried various combinations of starting one device first and another device later in some sequence but no luck.
I am not able to find any pattern to isolate the issue.

Please advise..!!

Solution
Check the receiver input set up menu to make sure that you have HDMI selected as both your video and audio choice for that input.
Unsuccessful 1
Since there is no display the desktop doesn't recognize the HDMI connection.
Unsuccessful 2
It sounds like you have another display connected to the desktop other than the receiver-hdmi-TV? If that displays' resolution isn't compatible with the TV it won't produce a picture on the TV.
Set the TV as a second monitor(or extended display). That will let you set the resolution for TV independently of that monitor. Set it to match the native resolution of the TV.
I find having a large display for content and another usually smaller one for secondary programs works well.
For example I might have a...
Check the receiver input set up menu to make sure that you have HDMI selected as both your video and audio choice for that input.
Unsuccessful 1
Unsuccessful 2
It sounds like you have another display connected to the desktop other than the receiver-hdmi-TV? If that displays' resolution isn't compatible with the TV it won't produce a picture on the TV.
Set the TV as a second monitor(or extended display). That will let you set the resolution for TV independently of that monitor. Set it to match the native resolution of the TV.
I find having a large display for content and another usually smaller one for secondary programs works well.
For example I might have a video playing in my browser on the TV and have the program to download it in the monitor.

Solution
Nov 23, 2019
Unsuccessful 1
Unsuccessful 2
For example I might have a video playing in my browser on the TV and have the program to download it in the monitor.

When laptop is connected to receiver, the there is no issue. Audio is truehd n display on both laptop and tv is fine as well.

However, there appear to be some confusion.
Let me clarify.
Unsuccessful 1:
By desktop I meant there is a monitor already included. The monitor is connected through DVI to CPU. So display is there.
Unsuccessful 2:
I tried disconnecting monitor from DVI and connecting only Desktop CPU>>HDMI>>Receiver>>HDMI>>TV.
But there is nothing coming on TV then.
I tried both duplicating and extending to TV through receive but unsuccessful.
Also since successful 3 and 4 are already there, do you think there is any resolution issue.