Hooking pc to hdtv

cashjuve23

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
i have a question, dont know if this is the right place to post it but oh well. I just bought a Sony SXRD 55' LCD Rear Projection to, its awesome. I want to hook my pc up to it. I had it hooked up with HDMI to DVI, i had it working fine but the picture on the tv was too big, it would cut off all 4 sides a little, i tried messing with all kinds of settings but couldnt get it right. i seached online and found out i needed to get the new ATI CAT 5.6 drivers. I did that and it gave me all the settings i need to get my tv looking but now nothing comes up on my tv. can anyone help me?

marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
First, before driving yourself mad, check that the cable hasnt just fallen out or d/c. You could go round the houses of the problem and find that its just a wrongly connected TV. Also are you using a compatible resolution - i.e. are you using an HDTV 720p or 1080i 16:9 resolution or are you trying to use a 4:3 resolution like 1024x768 or worse still 1280x1024

Do you have another monitor plugged into a VGA port on the graphics card? If so use that to ensure that DVI socket is enabled. Upon receiving driver updates I found the PC has a habit or reverting back to "default" settings which may include resetting the 3D settings (anti aliasing, anisiotropic filtering) and also disabling any secondary displays or TV out options. A trip back into the Catalyst control panel on the main monitor will enable you to sort this out as well as adjust the picture of the TV if need be.

Or just revert back to the existing drivers and try your TV settings one more time. The old drivers at least displayed a picture so you can just try and play around with that until you achieve perfection. Ensure that first of all you are using a 16:9 resolution and then change the TV setting to FULL or whatever shows all the picture. On Philips its Widescreen I think on Sony it is FULL. Some TVs try and apply their own settings to stretch 4:3 pictures (i.e. AUTO or SMART on Sony TVs) so they look like they are widescreen when really they are cutting off a portion of the top and bottom picture. For example on analogue british channels like BBC1 the programmes are broadcast in 14:9 (thinner black bars than a letterboxed 16:9 broadcast) so the TVs merely cut a little bit off the top and bottom of the picture so it looks like a widescreen picture! But try that with a PC picture and you end up losing the taskbar. Ensure you are using a compatible resolution and refresh rate - the display properties can help you achieve this.

Trial and error is the best thing - and common sense is as well :lol: Don't want to be wasting time when you find it is something as trivial as the cable being accidently pulled out to play your 360 (as I once did :oops: )

TRENDING THREADS