Hooking subwoofer up to an old receiver

Dratterman01

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017
I have an older JBL receiver with Dolby surround pro-logic sound. I am already using the front A and B to run sound inside and out. To improve the sound inside, I want to hook up a subwoofer. The only outputs remaining are rear left and right or center. Will those work with a subwoofer?
Code:

Let me repeat with added clarity:

OPTION#1: If your receiver has a pair of L+R PRE-OUTS, these are the low level Fronts signals that can be used by your new sub, assuming it has low lever (RCA Jacks) L+R Inputs.

OPTION#2: In the absence of low level RCAs, hookup your speakers Out L+R to the sub's HIGH level Inputs, then from sub's HIGH level Output to your existing L+R

So ideally, your new sub can use option#1, but also option#2. The Dayton 800 sub has such options, for illustration purposes, download the manual and take a look.

All you have to do is to buy a (self) POWERED subwoofer with L+R inputs, and has two knobs (1)crossover (2)gain, and hook it up any front L+R. But am surprised a surround receiver doesn't have a sub out, sometimes labeled as LFE.

Dratterman01

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017
Thanks for the response. I will look for a self powered subwoofer. Before I buy, I wanted to make sure it would play of of rear or center out puts. That is all I have available. I have no front or LFE. Will L+R rear or center work for a self powered subwoofer?

Let me repeat with added clarity:

OPTION#1: If your receiver has a pair of L+R PRE-OUTS, these are the low level Fronts signals that can be used by your new sub, assuming it has low lever (RCA Jacks) L+R Inputs.

OPTION#2: In the absence of low level RCAs, hookup your speakers Out L+R to the sub's HIGH level Inputs, then from sub's HIGH level Output to your existing L+R

So ideally, your new sub can use option#1, but also option#2. The Dayton 800 sub has such options, for illustration purposes, download the manual and take a look.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Smackiepipe Audio 6
C Audio 1
A Audio 4
M Audio 2
J Audio 2
D Audio 1
W Audio 1
K Audio 5
G Audio 5
L Audio 1
Y Audio 2