How can I have two monitors and a a/v receiver for sound connected to my pc?

Jul 28, 2015
The optical port on either the motherbaord of a/v receiver is bad, so sound crackles and goes out. So the simple solution seemed to be to just use a HDMI for sound, but I have no idea how to get it to work. And my home theater is a 7.1 channel, so using an older method would ruin the sound. I might as well keep using my monitor's sound if I can't use a cable that supports 7.1

Right now I have two monitors, one 1080p, and then my main is 4k. The 1080p is connected via HDMI, and the 4k is DP. My GPU has three DP ports, and only 1 HDMI. My motherboard does have a HDMI though, but I can't get my second monitor to work with it or my a/v receiver.
So really I have one HDMI. My receiver doesn't have a dp port, its four years old.

I can't figure out why the HDMI does not work on my motherboard. And even if I could get it to work, how would I prevent it from just turning my TV into a monitor? Because that is what happens when I connect the GPU's HDMI to one of my a/v receiver's HDMI inputs.

I have a brand new: GIGABYTE LGA1151 Intel Z170 ATX DDR4 Motherboards (GA-Z170X-UD3 Ultra)
And a new: Gigabyte GeForce GTX GV-N1080G1 GAMING-8GD Video Graphics Cards

It's frustrating that they don't work... I've already replaced too many brand new MSI parts, and had hoped Gigabyte worked better.

Karadjgne

Honorable
Herald
Dec 26, 2012
I have 2x monitors, onkyo a/v with 5.1 surround and pc speakers + sub. None of which are connected via hdmi for audio. Use the motherboard audio, not the gpu. It uses the Windows sound settings to differentiate between outputs. Mostly I use the pc speakers (better fill than the monitor) but when the wife/mother-in-law isn't home I'll flip the Realtek software on and change the output to the a/v and shake the house. Motherboard audio has come a very long way since the days of the 486 class boards when a SoundBlaster 16 was an absolute must have card.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Streaming Video & TVs 0
H Streaming Video & TVs 3
A Streaming Video & TVs 3
T Streaming Video & TVs 1
S Streaming Video & TVs 3
K Streaming Video & TVs 1
B Streaming Video & TVs 3
S Streaming Video & TVs 2
H Streaming Video & TVs 4
C Streaming Video & TVs 3
O Streaming Video & TVs 4