How can I move installed phone apps to sd card to free up internal memory on Alcatel One Touch with kitkat?

Nico91

Estimable
Aug 6, 2015
I just bought an Alcatel One Touch Pop Icon phone with very little internal storage and it already has a low storage warning and now many apps cannot be used. I installed a microsd card, but because of the kitkat problem not allowing apps/files to be moved to a card, I cannot move any apps to the card to free up internal memory. This is my first phone and I need a workaround that is easy to understand and perform please. Thank you in advance!

Nico91

Estimable
Aug 6, 2015

Thanks so much for your response! I had read that post, but was told that worked for other android versions but the kitkat version would still not allow the transfer of apps to the card. I do not know if the Alcatel phone can even be rooted. I am unsure of even trying that since I am no expert and am afraid I may accidentally cause a bigger problem. Is that something I should try to do or is that a job for a professional? Is there a solution that does not require rooting? Thanks.

Joyboytinkertoy

Estimable
Nov 7, 2015

I'm having the same issue with mine! Its crazy can't have more than two apps! I hope someone can help both of us!!

I think you may have to root the fone and then install a later Android OS.

I am in the process of rooting my old Galaxy S and struggling with Kingo myself ... I have had a lot more success with the S3 and S4 ... but I love this old retro thing.

tuffguppy

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016
Have you tried this?

I have a Samsung S5 with android 6.0.1 installed. I have recently updated the OS when the automatic updates appeared on my phone. It used to be easier to transfer apps to the memory card from internal phone memory. Some apps will let you do the following to move them to your memory card.

1. tap the settings 'gear' icon
2. scroll down until you find app manager - tap app manager
3. tap the app you want to move. (I just moved Instagram)
4. tap on storage
5. if the "change" option is available tap it. (If "change" is not available you can't move the app storage location)
6. select the storage location, internal storage or SD card
7. select SD card to move the app out of your phone's internal memory
8. select "move" on the next screen to move the app to your selected location

Not all apps allow you to change the storage location and the option to change the location is not available.

Vivisect

Prominent
Jul 10, 2017

This is not true, the app will say it is using the SD card for app data, but if you use a file manager and explore the SD card and internal memory you will find that the data is still on internal memory, even though the app info says otherwise.