How can I reinstall the OS on a TiVO Series 2 DVR?

GamerMan101

Estimable
Nov 21, 2015
Hello all,
I am aware that the TiVO DVRs are quite ancient and fairly worthless in 2017, however, I saw one at my local electronics store that was about to be recycled, so I brought it home. When I plugged it in, the TiVO booted to a screen that said, "Welcome! Starting Up..." I was actually excited that it worked, as I have never used a TiVO DVR before. xD
The issue was, it never booted. It just stayed on that screen forever. I read some other forums that said that I needed to replace the harddrive, etc. So I popped in a new HDD. The issue is, I have no OS to put on it. Is there anywhere that I could get a copy of the TiVO os, and if so, how would I install it??

USAFRet

Illustrious

It probably has to talk to TiVo central to finish the setup process.

GamerMan101

Estimable
Nov 21, 2015
I tried connecting to dialup, but no response on behalf of the TIVO...
Again, I think the hard drive is dead. Can someone DM me if they have the backup file to restore to this TIVO?

USAFRet

Illustrious

Possibly start here: tivocommunity.com
http://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php?threads/no-operating-system.297682/

GamerMan101

Estimable
Nov 21, 2015
There is no way to download InstantCake for the new OS anymore; it was removed from the internet.
I have accessed a few edgy sites and come up with a download of winmfs, but now I need an image file. Does anyone have an image file for a vanilla build TIVO series 2 dvr?

GamerMan101

Estimable
Nov 21, 2015
Again, please reply if anyone has the image file. I would really either like to get this working and play with it or sell it if it can not be used by me.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AnotherQuestion17 Streaming Video & TVs 0
John M. Streaming Video & TVs 0
G Streaming Video & TVs 1
K Streaming Video & TVs 2
P Streaming Video & TVs 3
T Streaming Video & TVs 3
S Streaming Video & TVs 4
K Streaming Video & TVs 1
Marshall Honorof Streaming Video & TVs 0
B Streaming Video & TVs 1
I Streaming Video & TVs 4