How can I remove a setup.exe publisher unknown file which keeps trying to install?

jennynovak

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
I am using Windows 7 O/S on a laptop.
Each time I start up my laptop, a Setup.exe file prompt which shows "Publisher Unknown" dialog box appears. It is attempting to install it but as I do not know who the publisher is, I keep having to say "No" to it. Using the search file field to find the file under Start button, the only files which appear are Setup.exe.mui

How can I remove this file to stop it prompting me?

Solution
Just figured it out.

1. Go to Control Panel
2. Go to Programs > Uninstall a Program
3. Look for a program called "Updater" (It is published by Creative Island Media)
4. Uninstall Updater

You should be good to go. This was a deceptive little program in that the timestamp was backdated to 2012 even though it found its way to my PC in the last few days.

Good Luck.

jennynovak

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
Thanks for your answer to my query, however, as soon as I use the CTRL+ALT+DEL to access Task Manager, the Setup.exe dialog box instantly disappears ... until I next Closedown or Restart. The process therefore does not show under the Processes tab in Task Manager.

edisto

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
I have the same issue and can't figure it out. File will appear in a random created subdirectory c:\users\...\AppData\Local\Temp\nnnnn\setup.exe /s

Once you click "no" the file disappears from explorer.

Ran several malware and anti-virus scans but have not come up with anything either.....

Scanned my registry but couldn't find anything unusual.

I am continuing to investigate and will post when I find solution.

edisto

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
Just figured it out.

1. Go to Control Panel
3. Look for a program called "Updater" (It is published by Creative Island Media)
4. Uninstall Updater

You should be good to go. This was a deceptive little program in that the timestamp was backdated to 2012 even though it found its way to my PC in the last few days.

Good Luck.

Solution

tenniselbo43

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

THANK YOU...will see how this works from now on...just followed your instructions! Dee

jennynovak

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
Thanks so much for your time and efforts on this issue. I actually did contact AVG and had it removed a couple of weeks ago as it was really annoying. However, it is good to have your remedy on hand in case it ever returns. Thanks again.

tenniselbo43

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

tenniselbo43

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
(Each time I start up my laptop, a Setup.exe file prompt which shows "Publisher Unknown" dialog box appears. It is attempting to install it but as I do not know who the publisher is, I keep having to say "No" to it. Using the search file field to find the file under Start button, the only files which appear are Setup.exe.mui

How can I remove this file to stop it prompting me?)

Edisto in forum below said the following which I tried and it worked for me!
"1. Go to Control Panel
4. Uninstall Updater

Good Luck."

Bill Witty

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014

Bill Witty

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014

Syed_yousufresh

Estimable
Dec 2, 2015
you can stop this...Right click on taskbar click Task manager or Ctrl+Shift+Esc.>>>>Processes>>>Check the box"Show processes from all the users" right click and open file location of any one unwanted .exe file running and stop the process from task manager (kill the process by right click and end process or end end process tree) than delete the file from file location. Even you can delete all the unwanted which is getting auto installed you will find all those application folders in this location located in "program Data" folder.. Hope your issue will get resolve.

Syed Yousuf