How Come with Windows XP you Can Run Two Firefalls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
I used to run Nortons Firewall and Zone Labs Demo! With Newer OS you are allowed to run only 1 and its a software issue and conflict even with Todays Multi-Thread Chips? I used to run This Set-up with My Athlon XP PC in around 2003 after i got my Network+2003!

Why do you want to run 2 firewalls? It's like trying to run 2 anti-virus software programs at once, you'll see no benefit and will just add more issues to deal with. Pick the best firewall and use that.

You can run 2 firewall programs just fine as long as they are not programmed to not install if it sees another one. For example you can turn on the built-in Windows firewall and install Norton. You may just get an error staying there may be compatability issues.

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

Why not have a double firewall analyzer with double scan since you have hyperthreading and 2 proccessors acting as 4 to see if one virus goes through norton, webroots picks it up or cloud technology since there are 220,000 malware a day and viruses increased from 100,000 to 200,00 from 2010! If your running a server OS or an ultimate edition of Vista or XP 7 why not have a concept of two firewalls running at once, considering most people use the concept of 2 cpus/2gpus/2 hard drives in raid-0? Its better to have a multiple solution than one serial bit mentality kinda of soultion for antivirus and malware considering there an increase inhacking, you don't want dormant viruses on the public computers hitting pc to pc till it hits somewhere major?

If you are trying to save every computer by installing 2 firewalls on yours, not going to get very far.

You can install 10 of them on your PC, but 10 other people will have 0.

Having 2 firewalls is like having a car with 2 steering wheels, and both drivers are blind and gagged. They both will drive the car OK, but won't get very far together. You want to install a hardware firewall running either in your router or as a stand-alone appliance, not run 2,3 programs on the PC.

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

Do you mean talk and chew gum at the same time?

For the Previous Comment A hard FireWall is good and 2 software firewalls is what I'm mentioning I'm not worried about the other 10 people, not the Server Admin or Network Admin!

jrocks84

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009

Repeating what others have said, DON'T run more than one software firewall on a computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.