How could I record audio from a 3.5mm audio output INTO a 3.5mm audio mic input?

rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
I'm trying to record phone conversations from my landline telephone or from my mobile.
So I've bought a cable with 3.5mm TRS male connectors on both sides (this is the typical connector in Stereo headphones) and connected a mobile to the Mic input on the PC. But I don't know why nothing is recorded.
I've also tried to record my landline telephone (using an adapter that adapts rj11 to 3.5mm female connector), but I only hear a buzz.

I've also tried connecting the audio output on the PC to the Mic input on the PC using the 3.5mm female connectors on back of the PC and this cable I mentioned above for testing purposes, but nothing is recorded.

Maybe the cable I bought is too long (5metres) or is bad, but, shouldn't it be recorded OK using this setup?

Yamitime

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014
The mic input would be a little too sensitive for this you should be using Line-in . You have to configure your mic/line in in windows .right click on the sound icon on the taskbar.
Hope this helps

rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

Hi: I've tried doing as you say but I get the same result, a buzz when connecting to the phone adapter output and nothing at all when connecting to the audio output from the computer. I suspect this cable is bad or too long. Thank you, I'll let you know if when I try with a new cable.

rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
I've bought a new cable extender 3.5mm plug to plug (TRS: Tip-Ring-Sleeve) on both sides and the result is the same: a buzz when I plug it to the phone Rj11 to 3.5mm adapter. When I connect instead to the audio output on a mobile phone, it works fine (I can record that sound), also: when I connect headphones to the rj11-3.5mm adapter on the landline phone I can hear the telephone OK. Why can I hear the sound on headphones and yet cannot successfully inject that sound into the Line in connector on the computer?? Perhaps I need to replace the TRS plug on one end of the plug-to-plug TRS cable and swap positive and swap the positive and negative signal cables (tip and ring connectors on the plug).