How do I connect a Samsung HW-H550 soundbar to a Pioneer SC1228 Receiver

Jahmuz

Commendable
Feb 4, 2017
I have a Rogers Netbox feeding my Pioneer SC-1228 Receiver through an HDMI cable I then feed my HW-H550 Samsung soundbar with an HDMI cable and then feed the Sharp TV with an HDMI cable out from the Samsung soundbar.

I also have wired ceiling speakers being fed from the Pioneer SC-1228 Receiver my problem is that the ceiling speakers are the only speakers working in this configuration, I get a picture on my TV either direct or through the soundbar but I Never get any sound from the TV or the Sounbar I only get sound from the ceiling speakers.

Can someone please explain what I am doing wrong?

Thanks
J

Solution
When your send sound and picture to the Pioneer with HDMI it assumes that it will be producing the sound so it doesn't send audio via the HDMI output. If your Rogers netbox has an optical audio output you could connect that to the soundbar. Using the ceiling speakers and soundbar isn't the way any of this gear was intended to be used. Controlling the volume this way would require the Rogers box to control the volume.
Depending on how the room is set up you might try these options.
If the ceiling speakers are in the rear of the room you would want to use your soundbar as the front speakers & sub.
If the ceiling speakers are in the front of the room you would want to use your soundbar as the center speaker.
Since your receiver doesn't...
When your send sound and picture to the Pioneer with HDMI it assumes that it will be producing the sound so it doesn't send audio via the HDMI output. If your Rogers netbox has an optical audio output you could connect that to the soundbar. Using the ceiling speakers and soundbar isn't the way any of this gear was intended to be used. Controlling the volume this way would require the Rogers box to control the volume.
Depending on how the room is set up you might try these options.
If the ceiling speakers are in the rear of the room you would want to use your soundbar as the front speakers & sub.
If the ceiling speakers are in the front of the room you would want to use your soundbar as the center speaker.
Since your receiver doesn't have line level audio outputs and the soundbar only has optical audio input connecting them is complicated. Getting the sub to work properly is also tricky.
You can connect a speaker to line level converter to the appropriate speaker out of the receiver and then connect that to an analog to digital converter that has optical audio output. Then you would have to configure the receiver.
I would suggest that not use the soundbar and get a passive center speaker and powered subwoofer

Solution