How do I connect my new LG TV to my old Technics stereo? The TV has optical digital audio out and the stereo has RCA input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aida68

Estimable
Jan 1, 2015
I want to connect my new TV to my old stereo, but I don't know what cables or adapter I need to have. I don't understand the terminology, all I know is that my stereo doesn't have an optical socket, so am assuming I need some sort of adapter? I have (I believe) RCA with black and white ends cable. I gather I will need to buy optical cable as well. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

aida68

Estimable
Jan 1, 2015

I think so, there is a bit at the back of TV with a headphones symbol.

aida68

Estimable
Jan 1, 2015

Thanks much, it worked! Can't believe it was that simple! People were saying I needed to buy an optical cable and an adapter, etc, etc.. I didn't even have to buy the cable, as I already had the one you mentioned. Much appreciated
Naomi

StuBur

Estimable
Jan 18, 2015

using the headphone socket ..does that not cut out the sound to the TV speakers .I used an adaptor something like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Digital-Optical-Coax-Coaxia-Toslink-to-Analog-RCA-Audio-Converter-Adapter-R-L-/200664552264?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Tuners&hash=item2eb88a1348
and audio cable and an optical ( Toslink) cable .

aida68

Estimable
Jan 1, 2015

Hi
Not really sure if this is what you mean, but when it cuts out the sound to the TV speakers, on my TV the sound then comes through my stereo speakers.

Olasaal

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015
Hi Mat you sound like you really know your stuff. Id really appreciate some help. I have a Old technics stereo. I bought a Dac and Optical cable but I cannot use the Hifi control as I lost it. If I buy this cable then I will be able to control the sound with the TV remote. Absolute Dream.

Mat you may know. The Hifi came with 5 speakers. I use the two big ones. It sounds Ok. I lost the centre one and two small ones. It has a pro Logic button. Is there any benefit in me adding a centre speaker with this method or will it just not work? I did add a post earlier. Hope you don't mind I have copied and pasted it below. Desperate for this info so much appreciated.

Ok. I have read through a few posts and can see the frustration sometimes where not enough information is provided to hopefully find a solution to a problem so I will try to be as comprehensive as possible but to the point.

My technical knowledge is limited.
I am not a perfectionist for picture and sound just want half decent quality.
I bought a new TV and the sound is poor. LG 4k led.
I am trying to find a solution to tie in with my other existing equipment but understand that I may need to spend more money and I am open to suggestions.
I have an old technics system. Technics SE-CH570
It has Dolby pro logic and a setting called Surround.
It came with Surround Speakers but do not have them any more but could but them.
It seems these would be connected via RCA connectors.

I figure I could use this to give me good tv sound although maybe not full surround sound.
I currently use this to run my Sonos via a Sonos Connect. It sounds pretty good. I am happy with this quality.

I think this is all of the detail.

The path I have gone down is this.

I bought optical cable and a DAC converter
It worked and sound is pretty good but I want to try to get a central speaker working for better quality.

So my questions is this. Is it worth me finding a set of the same surround speakers that came with the system originally. If I set the system to surround or Dolby Pro Logic will I get a surround sound or at least a centre speaker working adding to the quality. The original speakers are quite expensive and don't look that great. Can I just buy a centre speaker and then connect it to an RCA plug.

I understand that Pro Logic is very old not but I am not trying to achieve surround sound just decent sound from the tv through my existing amp if possible. By buying the original speakers again I am not even sure if they will work or if I buy a different central speaker if it will work.

Please if you feel I am going down a road which is just pointless feel free to give the bad news. I thought about buying a new amp but did not really want to spend £250 on the recommended merantz option advised to me.

Any advice here is greatly appreciated.

It may be worth noting I also want to add a record player to the system through the Phono in and play some old records I have. This worked through this stereo before no problem.

If anyone miraculously had some sort of solution where I could control the sound through my tv remote that would be incredible.

Thanks in advance if any info it required please just ask. I really appreciate any help.
Nick

aida68

Estimable
Jan 1, 2015

Hi
It is interesting indeed. It was great that I didn't have to buy anything extra! I adjust the volume using my stereo controller. It's really good, as when I want to watch movies or listen to music, I bring the sound through my stereo and the sound is just fine. The only other thing I have to do, is go into the TV sound settings and click headphones to bring the sound through the stereo speakers and then I switch it back to TV speakers when I'm not using the stereo speakers

Olasaal

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015
Hi, How many speakers do you use and what hifi is it? Mat seemed to thing you could adjust the volume wit the tv remote in his post above but you found you can't do this can you? It is a problem for me as I have lost the controller.

whats your actual tv model number mate - so i can quick check the manual/connections

your existing amp I believe is only a stereo amp with pseudo surround/prologic (fake surround) - I assume it only has stereo inputs (red/white ie left & right) for sources on the back?

If your tv has a dedicated headphone out then you can definitely control the volume of tv sound via the tv.
most tv's now have a switchable option in the audio menu as aida64 says.
On my sharp aquos I can set the headphone socket to either headphone out(will allow volume control via tv) or audio out (will supply sound only at a preset volume & is non adjustable on tv)
Optical out has the same effect as audio out - the sound from the tv will be at a preset non alterable volume
I can also set to output to tv spesaker & headphone jack simultaneously or just switch between the two.
You dont want the tv speaker on when using external speakers as it creates an echo effect.
All the above is dependant on your actual tv connections though

Was the 250 quid setup you were recommended for a complete surround setup with speakers or just for a reciever??
There are far better buys about than that - you dont need to spend anywhere near that amount.

Olasaal

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015
Hi, It is a LG 55UB820V Smart 55" 4K Ultra HD TV

I just looked it does have headphone/Ext speaker out socket.

They recommended that I buy a new Amp. http://www.richersounds.com/product/amplifiers-receivers/marantz/pm6005/mara-pm6005-blk

I don't want anything special but came to the conclusion that no sound bar was really going to be better than using the HIFi and as I run Sonos through the Amp and it sounds good to me I thought it would be ok to run the tv through it.

You see Mat here was my thinking.

Spend £200 say on a decent soundbar when I have and amp and speakers next to the tv anyway with Sonos.
Buy the Sonos Soundbar but I would still have no sub. Expensive.
Buy a new Amp but then use the old speakers anyway.

I do not have the controller for the Hifi so could but one at a cost of about £20.
I also don't have the surround sound speakers for the hifi. It looks like the one below. I could buy these to try to get better sound for voices on tv (I forget the word for it)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Technics-CH570-HiFi-Stereo-Amp-CD-Tuner-Sound-Process-Pro-Logic-Dolby-Surround/171637887687?_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985&_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27676%26meid%3D77dfb4c3bc02419fb7b53ed18f3bd07a%26pid%3D100012%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D7%26sd%3D171625608000

I could spend the money on the surround sound speakers and the controller but at a cost. He said he would sell me just the 3 surround speakers and the controller for £50. Seems I am spending money on something which aint great really but if the centre speaker worked and the sound was pretty good I could be happy.

I fully understand that it is not proper surround sound but would it work at all and sound pretty much as good as a half decent soundbar. If it did I would be happy. Without something the sound from the two speakers is quite deep. It needs that centre speaker to make the voices clear. (ffs I cannot think of the word)

Or do I need an Av Received. Something I know nothing about. Totally lost what to do. What do you think but this volume questions is pretty important as I do not have a control for the Hifi at the moment.
I really appreciate your help.

Olasaal

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015
Dialogue. The word is freaking Dialogue. Ha.

Mat this thread is solved so if you want to answer in the other thread I created so it is solved there then no probs.
thanks,

had a look at the manual & am absolutely certain that a 3.5mm headphone to 2xrca phono cable will let you control volume via the tv mate.
However the extra surround function & setting up the centre speaker for the midrange audio youre missing may require a remote control for the amp still.
I woudlnt pay 50 quid though mate for some crappy old speakers which are worth maybe a tenner
In all honestly Im a bit of an audiophile whore when it comes to stuff like this mate.
The amp richersounds suggested to you is a nice bit of kit but totally inappropriate ( & expensive) for your needs.
For 250 quid you could get a full setup including surround reciever,5 speakers & sub & its going to sound far bettr than youre used to - thats budget range though,my speakers alone cost more than that
your old record deck you use,is it just twin rca jacks or does it also have another ground wire (little thin one)
How does your sonos connect,digitally or red/white jacks again??

Olasaal

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015
Thanks for the reply Mat.
Ok so we have established that we can adjust the volume. Bloody awesome news and therefore I do not need the controller.
I will take your advice on the speakers.
Fully understand you get what you pay for here.
Yes just two RCA jacks on the decks and two RCA jacks on the Sonos connect.

So if I say that I will get the cable and we have sorted the sound control to the hifi what is the easiest way to get a better TV sound quality especially Dialogue? Could I add a central speaker. If I do then would I need to insert It into the Surround RCA jack port or just link it onto either the left or right main speaker.

I really feel I am getting somewhere here.

I really am not too concerned about surround sound just want tidy sound for music and TV but nothing too impressive although I do appreciate good quality sound when I hear it is not a priority for me here.

I get the feeling I should probably get rid of the Technics sterio. Buy a good Amp or received and build on the system from there but it will turn into an expensive road when all I really want is decent sound from the TV. You know what I mean.
n

thanks,
Nick

aida68

Estimable
Jan 1, 2015

My hifi system is also a Technics Dolby Surround, SH-EH790 Pro Logic (whatever that means, never understood) I've had it now about 12 years or so and luckily I still have my 5 speakers (2 large, 2 sub woofers and another small one) and I also have my remote control. I've never tried using the TV remote to control the volume when I've brought the sound through the stereo (never really thought of it to be honest) but according to madmatt30, it works so might try it later. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.