how do I hook up a smart tv box to the tv and surround sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clorey

Estimable
Apr 5, 2015
I just bought s smart tv box from a friend and have it hooked up. I can watch movies, but there is no sound at all. How can I hook up this box to the surround sound receiver? I was told to hook up the box directly to the tv with an optical cable, but this doesn't work. I tried hooking it up to the receiver, but am not sure where to put the cable to get sound for a movie. I tried different places on the receiver, but nothing works. The tv is a Sony 50" about five years old and the receiver is also a Sony the same age. This system was bought together from Best Buy. I am very frustrated with this and the man I bought the box from, doesn't know how to help me. I am counting on you.Thanks

Hi, you need to plug the optical cable from the TV box to the surround sound receiver, as you haven't included any model numbers, i cant be sure that the Sony receiver has got an optical input, but my guess is that it will. So HDMI cable from TV box to TV, then optical cable from the TV box to the surround sound receiver.
You may have to look in the settings of the TV box to 'enable' the optical out.

IF your TV box has no optical output, then running it from your TV to the receiver would also work fine.

Again, you may have to 'enable' the optical output on your TV for this to work.

Hope this may help!

K.

Clorey

Estimable
Apr 5, 2015
Kenton82 The tv is a Sony Bravia Model KDL-46HX701
We are going to try your suggestion and I will let you know if it works.
Thank you so much for your quick response, it is very much appreciated by both of us.

Clorey

Estimable
Apr 5, 2015
when you talk about the tv box, do you mean the cable box, or the Android smart tv box? We are trying everything. I must mention that we have Bell Fibe, which is wireless. There is no place to put an hdmi cable from the wireless box to the tv. What else can we try?

Hi, no problem. I have just looked at the Bell wireless box, and it appears that there is in fact an HDMI output. But if you could tell me the model of that box, or put up a picture of the back of it, this may help. Also if you would not mind putting up the model of the Android box you are using! Can clarify that you wish to connect your Bell TV box, and your android box, that would be great.
Looking forward to your reply,
Kenton.

Status
Not open for further replies.