How do I know how many OHMs my computer has/can recieve from a headset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kushler

Estimable
Sep 6, 2015
I have an ASUS P9X79 LE motherboard and I was wondering how many OHMs that has, I'm thinking on buying the Sennheiser G4ME zero, and would like to know if my computer can handle its specs? Don't know what my sound card is but in device manager under Sound, video and game controllers it says;

- High Definition Audio-device
- NVIDIA High Definition Audio
- NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)
- Razer Megalodon

I have plugged in some earbuds and use the Razer Megalodon for the mic, since the headset broke in half.
So if you know anything about how many OHMs I have / can run, and if I can use the Sennheiser G4ME zero without buying a new sound card, please let me know! :)
Thanks

Solution
it doesnt work that way. ohms is a measure of resistance, or impedance which is used on headphones along with sensitivity to show how hard headphones are to power. while ohms generally get used for headphones to describe what headphones an amplifier can handle the often left out part is sensitivity which can affect the outcome as well. for simplicities sake (and generally speaking examples) ohm is mostly used such as i will use below.

from reading the webpage on the product, it doesnt look like they mention any sort of specialized soundcard or more powerful amplifier which means you're running average quality onboard likely. typically this is good enough to power headphones up to around 30ohm impedence although some even have trouble...
it doesnt work that way. ohms is a measure of resistance, or impedance which is used on headphones along with sensitivity to show how hard headphones are to power. while ohms generally get used for headphones to describe what headphones an amplifier can handle the often left out part is sensitivity which can affect the outcome as well. for simplicities sake (and generally speaking examples) ohm is mostly used such as i will use below.

from reading the webpage on the product, it doesnt look like they mention any sort of specialized soundcard or more powerful amplifier which means you're running average quality onboard likely. typically this is good enough to power headphones up to around 30ohm impedence although some even have trouble with that.

some users have issues running the game zero on onboard - you might want a cheap soundcard. you can certainly try onboard first to see if you can power them fine (it might, but i'd question the volume they can get up to with onboard) and make your decision later. if you get a soundcard, there are cheap options out there.

you could always just get the pc363d which comes with a soundcard...

Solution

Kushler

Estimable
Sep 6, 2015

Thank you so much for all the usefull info! really made everything a whole lot easier.
But I really wanted a closed headset, so the sound doesn't escape for the earcups, but I don't think that would be that big of a problem, it's just a plus;)... since the pc363d comes with a sound card, and it also has 7.1 surround sound and a nice mic that might be a better option, and I think I'm going with that!

And thanks again for all the nice info and recommendations! Very helpfull

Status
Not open for further replies.