How do i simulate surround sound on stereo headphones?

makua

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
I bought Audio Technica ATH-AD700's, people said they were great for gaming, and im wondering how i can simulate surround sound for COD MW2 and stuff (so i can hear people coming etc.)

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Unless the game has a menu feature for that, you won't be able to achieve it.

Even so, stereo headphones have only 1 driver, meaning its point-source, and can only vary in sound amplitude. Any "emulated surround" speakers/headphones will have multiple drivers.

Tsu_brO

Distinguished
May 2, 2010

His Sound Card MUST have capability to "Emulate Surround" too.

@makua
You MUST fit on all the 3 points here:
1.The game must have a menu feature for that(Emulated Surround OR 3D Sound OR Surround, any of the these should work for what you want)
2.Your Headphone must have multiple drivers(some headphones have that)
3.Your Sound Card must have capability to Emulate Surround.

Without ANY of the 3, your attempt will just be in vain.

shinryuken

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
Creative Xmod will let you hear surround sound over regular headphones.
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-Xmod-Sound-Card/dp/B000IZ96LQ

The "X-Fi CMSS-3D" is the part of it that does this. There are probably other audio devices by Creative that have this too. But the Xmod is what I have tried.

It really does give you surround sound, and not just reverb effects. It creeped me out the first time I ran a 5.1 sound test with my headphones on. It was like the sound came from behind me.

When you plug in the Xmod, it tells the computer it has 6 speakers connected (like a traditional surround sound setup). Applications that support surround sound can send their surround audio to the Xmod, and it somehow transforms that into a 3D sound over 2 speakers.

I am assuming your games support surround sound.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
you can get a soundcard, that supports has such a feature. liek dolby headphone

asus and some of the creative soundcards, have dolby headphone, there you will be able to have stimulated surround sound.