How much of a language do professional programmers/ software devs use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atreyo Bhattacharjee

Commendable
Feb 7, 2017
How much do programmers remember and use of their primary language? Basically what I'm trying to ask is, is it expected for a professional to know everything about a language or development tool? Or do pros also use references and the internet to look stuff up?

Solution
I wrote my first program to run on an IBM mainframe 45 years ago and have been programming for a living for the last 38 years.
I know most of the features of my primary language and know what other features are available. I only use the references to look up specific settings of a feature that I do not normally use.
When I am learning a new language and/or library like my current studies of C# and .NET I use the internet a lot more. I still have an idea of what they can do but not necessarily the exact way to do something. Using Visual Studio for this helps a lot with reminding me of what I need to do.

mwryder55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
I wrote my first program to run on an IBM mainframe 45 years ago and have been programming for a living for the last 38 years.
I know most of the features of my primary language and know what other features are available. I only use the references to look up specific settings of a feature that I do not normally use.
When I am learning a new language and/or library like my current studies of C# and .NET I use the internet a lot more. I still have an idea of what they can do but not necessarily the exact way to do something. Using Visual Studio for this helps a lot with reminding me of what I need to do.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.