How to amplify microphone input

Leonell12

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
hi guys, basically the microphone in my current laptop sucks, it barely picks up any audio input and when it does, seems like theres a plastic bag on my head. So to put it blatantly, the mic has terrible pickup and the pickup that it does have is not very clear, all you can hear on the other side is mumbling. I know this because of skype video calls with friends, skype echo/ sound test service and DayZ Standalone. The laptop i'm using has only one 3.5mm jack (i think its 3-pin, so audio out and mic in) but i only have a headphone, i could get a better microphone (like a modmic) but i would need to get a adapter for the jacks as well right?
So i was wondering if there was any way to boost or amplify my microphone, via some sort of software. any help is appreciated

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
Go to control panel>sound>manage audio devices> click the recording tab> click on your microphone device> configure.

I believe there is a setting for a mic boost there. The sound might pick up static/ become distorted if you raise it too high however.

Leonell12

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013

yep, already tried that, its currently on +24db, even then the mic pickup is reallly bad and if i go any higher the already existing 'screeching' distortion becomes unbearable