How to connect 144hz monitor

Tonypap

Prominent
Jul 23, 2017
I got a 144hz monitor for my new pc and it came with a dual dvi cable but I'm not sure if I should connect it directly to the graphics card which is a 1070 or connect it to the motherboard

photonboy

Distinguished
Yep.
If you connect to the motherboard then it will just use the iGPU in the CPU if it even has one. RYZEN CPU's for example don't have a graphics component though their APU's will. (APU is CPU + GPU).

Also, if that's a 1920x1080 resolution you are fine but if it's 2560x1440 you'd need to use DisplayPort.

(you're more than likely aware, but make sure to go to NVidia then download the latest drivers for your card and version of Windows. When installing you can do a CUSTOM install and just choose the DRIVERS and PHYSX software if you'd like. Or install everything as it probably doesn't matter.

I only use Geforce Experience to occasionally use SHADOWPLAY and record video.)

Which reminds me, I think Windows 10 sometimes has its RECORDING feature turned on so it constantly records when you play games. Disable that if it's on (just google for how).

photonboy

Distinguished
Yep.
If you connect to the motherboard then it will just use the iGPU in the CPU if it even has one. RYZEN CPU's for example don't have a graphics component though their APU's will. (APU is CPU + GPU).

Also, if that's a 1920x1080 resolution you are fine but if it's 2560x1440 you'd need to use DisplayPort.

(you're more than likely aware, but make sure to go to NVidia then download the latest drivers for your card and version of Windows. When installing you can do a CUSTOM install and just choose the DRIVERS and PHYSX software if you'd like. Or install everything as it probably doesn't matter.

I only use Geforce Experience to occasionally use SHADOWPLAY and record video.)

Which reminds me, I think Windows 10 sometimes has its RECORDING feature turned on so it constantly records when you play games. Disable that if it's on (just google for how).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
lucasblack29 Laptop Tech Support 0
sulphur88 Laptop Tech Support 1
N Laptop Tech Support 3
miluti Laptop Tech Support 2
LifeIsAFairyTail93 Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 1
E Laptop Tech Support 2
M Laptop Tech Support 3
B Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 12