Solved! How to connect a new TV to an old receiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 5, 2024
I want to connect my 43” Samsung TU43DU7175U, 4K UHD Smart TV, which has no RCA output, to my 30 year old TECHNICS SH-EH60 Stereo Sound Processor, which only uses RCA. I want to be able to switch at will between the TV audio output and the speakers connected to the receiver. Is this possible? If so, how can I do it?

TV ports: USB (5V, 0.5A), common interface, HDMI (eARC), 2x HDMI, LAN, COAX (ANT, 13/18V, 0.4A), HTH.

Thank you in advance for your help. Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2024
I want to connect my 43” Samsung TU43DU7175U, 4K UHD Smart TV, which has no RCA output, to my 30 year old TECHNICS SH-EH60 Stereo Sound Processor, which only uses RCA. I want to be able to switch at will between the TV audio output and the speakers connected to the receiver. Is this possible? If so, how can I do it?

TV ports: USB (5V, 0.5A), common interface, HDMI (eARC), 2x HDMI, LAN, COAX (ANT, 13/18V, 0.4A), HTH.

Thank you in advance for your help. Have a nice day.
You will need to purchase a digital to analog converter (DAC). They come with a TOSLINK connecting cable. You connect the DAC to the TV Audio digital optical output using this cable. Then RCA cable from DAC output to an input on your stereo. You also need to go into your TV setup screen and change audio output from TV speakers to Digital Optical Output. If your TV lacks the audio digital optical output you can use the headphone jack output to the DAC (requires an adaptor cable which is not typically included with a DAC). The one thing old analog stereos (from my experience) get picky about is that it must be stereo sound input else the sound output from stereo is weak. Oh you can use one of your TV's USB ports to power the DAC as they are typically 5V.

Jun 9, 2024
They have many devices that do things like this where it will extract the audio from an HDMI signal.... also if your TV has optical output and you output to PCM, they also have small devices that will convert the optical output to stereo. You'll find lots of them... seriously lots on Amazon.

Jun 5, 2024
You will need to purchase a digital to analog converter (DAC). They come with a TOSLINK connecting cable. You connect the DAC to the TV Audio digital optical output using this cable. Then RCA cable from DAC output to an input on your stereo. You also need to go into your TV setup screen and change audio output from TV speakers to Digital Optical Output. If your TV lacks the audio digital optical output you can use the headphone jack output to the DAC (requires an adaptor cable which is not typically included with a DAC). The one thing old analog stereos (from my experience) get picky about is that it must be stereo sound input else the sound output from stereo is weak. Oh you can use one of your TV's USB ports to power the DAC as they are typically 5V.

Hi, thanks for your reply. These are the ports: USB (5V, 0.5A), common interface, HDMI (eARC), 2x HDMI, LAN, COAX (ANT, 13/18V, 0.4A), HTH. I think there is no way to connect a DAC as it has no digital optical output audio, am I wrong? Have a nice day.

Jun 5, 2024
They have many devices that do things like this where it will extract the audio from an HDMI signal.... also if your TV has optical output and you output to PCM, they also have small devices that will convert the optical output to stereo. You'll find lots of them... seriously lots on Amazon.

Hi, thanks for your reply. There is no digital optical output audio. On the other hand, do you think an HDMI to RCA converter would work? Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.