How to connect firewire to sony dcr-trv103?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobwebster

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
I just purchased a used Sony DCR-TRV 103 DigiCam to hopefully digitize my old analog 8mm and hi8 tapes and store them on DVD? I undertand that somehow a fire wire can be connected to the Sony and video can be uploaded direct to my computer. I see where to connect the firewird on my computer but not on the Sony camera. Also, once connected, do I need some software installed to accomplish my upload. Many thanks in advance.

Mike

Solution
Mike, welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

Somewhere towards the front underside of the camcorder you will see a tiny rubber plug. This rubber plug is the protective shield for the firewire port. It is not very obvious, and you have to look carefully.
Mike, welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

Somewhere towards the front underside of the camcorder you will see a tiny rubber plug. This rubber plug is the protective shield for the firewire port. It is not very obvious, and you have to look carefully.

Solution

cobwebster

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012

Thank you so much. Found it! Now that I have it connected, now what? Do I need software or a driver installed to complete the upload? What type of file should I be expecting to be created, AVI?

Mike

Great!

Now you will need a program to 'Import' the files from the camcorder to the computer hard disk.

There are some free programs for doing this, and you will need it for editing anyway. I use ULead DVD Movie Factory.

I also use Windows Movie Maker. This is not pre-packaged in Win7, but it is a free download from Microsoft.

Be prepared to spend some time learning and doing all this. It is not like downloading photos and saving them on the hard disk. Video is a little more involved and takes a little bit of reading and tryout.

Have fun!

cobwebster

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012

Thanks so much again. The light bulb in my head just turned on as I am somewhat familiar with Windows Movie Maker but have not had as much success with it on my XP machine (with the firewire port) as on my notebook with Windows 7 and no firewire port. I have been able to use the import function on short video clips from my point and shoot digital camera.

Mike

Same principle! Video files are so time consuming! Even with an i7 CPU!

Win Movie maker is not pre-packaged with Win7, but it is a free download from Microsoft.

Good luck to you.

cobwebster

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Bless you! Will save your post and let you know how things go. It may take me a while to get to this right now, but now I feel confident that I can accomplish my goal of digitizing my old analog tapes and store them on some other media that does not degrade. So grateful that I have found this forum and you!

Status
Not open for further replies.